WALBRO CARBURETOR & FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
6:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i bought some and the new small parts washing holder. carb cleaner is ok. it not as good and gunk or walmart, or as cheap. its not worth the money.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI - I asked Walbro if they also had a solvent for cleaning carbs in a USC. Their reply:

"Great question, as a matter of fact we are currently working on such a product but have not finalized it you. Please stay in touch as we are also reviewing the possibility of introducing an ultrasonic cleaner of our own. "

Philbert

Burky

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have two cans I got in an update seminar but haven't used it yet. They claim its the only or one of the only products that won't damage the gaskets or internal rubber parts in carburetors. I generally have been buying a case of carb cleaner at an auto parts store (until now). I think they said these cans are supposed to retail for over $10 eventually. Cost dealers right at $8 or above (I think).

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well since I use an ultrasonic unit with just water and Dawn Ultra I see no point in buying expensive spray cleaners. Many of these contains propellants that are flammable and other toxic ingredients too, even too much soap and water can kill be hazardous if is used. An additional drawback would be the possible of blowout damage to check valves if use incorrectly.

Now I do also use a non-residue soap if I not planning use for several weeks or simply do a plain water cycle and make sure the carburetor is dried afterwards.

My question is what is the cost of a case or cases of carburetor cleaner per year vs appropriate sized ultrasonic unit (multi year usable) and a large bottle Dawn per year. Here I use 6 liter unit as I clean larger carburetors that are on mowers and ATVs. The last bottle of dawn was less than $6 and the UT-36 was $259.00 but it is commercial unit. HF and other do have the 2.5 liters units for around $70. I have already had my unit going on 3 years now. The previous 2.5L Kendall was used for 4 yrs then I sold it and brought the above replacement. Maybe it just me but I would think this makes more sense especially when use in a shop setup.

Now ultrasonic cleaner is not a cure all unit by any means as with all methods there will times that additional cleaning methods will need to be used but it is definitely safer than most other options in my opinion.

Btw that small part washer holder is nothing but a kitchen utensil for holding loose tea leaves and spices. I can use the one the wife has that she has hot tea. She is glad for me to clean it every so often for her.

Burky

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree, AVB. I seldom use carburetor cleaner. I bought a case a few years ago and still have a few cans (I bet the wasp have consumed more of it than the carburetors have!). I also use a small hand sprayer with soapy water to preclean/spray down the carburetors before I put it in the USC, keeping my water solution cleaner for longer.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cleaning wisdom:)...Why take a chance some that curd makes its way inside the carburetor especially since I do remove the mixture screws but I seldom need to remove those welch plugs.

As far as the old dip cleaner I gave away my last can sometime last Summer never opened it for 2 years. So glad to be rid of that stuff.

Alderman

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not a mechanic but I have rebuilt a few chainsaw carbs. I usually give a quick blast with carb cleaner before I submerge into the ultrasonic containing water with Simple Green and Dawn. So far I haven't found the short term use of the carb cleaner to have a negative effect but I can't prove it helps either.
This method just works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
6:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i was just told that efferident tablets put into the ultra sonic did better then the liquid. was told this from a guy that works on tractors