Walbro WZ 8 cleaning rebuild question

pfmet

OPE Member
Local time
7:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Greetings all. My neighbor dropped off his 80’s Shindaiwa T20 trimmer in no start condition. It’s been a few years like this I guess. There is spark. Took the carb off and ordered the K10-WZ kit as well as fuel filter and “breather”. This is the earliest vintage Walbro I’ve worked on and it’s quite unique in my experience. First it’s a plastic body. The fuel tank uses a “breather” on a line from the tank And the discharge from the primer bulb runs freely from a line out onto you foot, or whatever happens to be beneath it. The problem I’m havin specifically is how to remove the “intake cap” and get at the “filter wick” which is the interesting device by which they richen the fuel mix during starting and warm up as there is no choke. I haven’t found an easy source of the wick as it is NLA and and those available are way over priced or in Canada or on an unknown site I don’t care to deal with. However as it appears to be ceramic perhaps or some rigid yet porous material I feel it may be fine. However I’d like to remove it so I clean the body in the ultrasonic cleaner without soaking this “wick” with cleaning agent and risk damaging it I’ve found no instructions on disassembling the carb and the ”intake cap” appears to be just pressed in but again I’m afraid of damaging it by trying to force prying it out. Anyone with experience with this carburetor from the back times that can offer guidance? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you much, PeterIMG_1885.png