Country flag

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
11:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The o ring under the tensioner gear isn't an absolute requirement and I think is really only there to give the gear a bit of resistance to turning.
20231201_091350.jpg

I dug around in the pit of forgotten O-rings we have at work..
20231201_080132.jpg20231201_080120.jpg

Closest I could come up with was this..
20231201_085916.jpg20231201_085853.jpg

It is a bit snug and required some extra effort to turn the gear once tightened, so I'm thinking something around .050" thickness would be about right.
I think I'll run with this one until it either wears in or pisses me off and I just throw it in the trash.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The o ring under the tensioner gear isn't an absolute requirement and I think is really only there to give the gear a bit of resistance to turning.
The o-ring on my 066 broke, I bought three replacements so I could have some for the future, just in case. I think it also helps keep dirt and crud from getting impacted underneath too.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The o-ring on my 066 broke, I bought three replacements so I could have some for the future, just in case. I think it also helps keep dirt and crud from getting impacted underneath too.

Hard to say.
This thing didn't have an one, my MS460 had 2 under the gear and my 044 had 1 and all seemed to have the same amount of funk built up inside.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the O-ring behind the adjuster possibly an anti-rattle, wear prevention thing?
Maybe helps the gear "favor" or stay biased to one side to make things stay meshed better when tensioning?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Coil wire enroute. Ed, you gotta pull that baffle out of the muffler. Air chisel the top two pieces down, then you can usually rock the whole thing back and forth to break the spot welds on the back of the can.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@redline4
Go ahead and pull the remaining part of the baffle to satisfy the Internet and I'll replace it when it hits my bench to fix it faster.
Really Steve? Its best left in the muffler can?

On 460’s, I mod and leave in. Do you find that leaving in adds torque?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really Steve? Its best left in the muffler can?

On 460’s, I mod and leave in. Do you find that leaving in adds torque?
Really Doc,
Modified in such a manner, it increases the velocity of the port. Which enhances the draw through the motor, allowing it to run more efficiently.
I didn't spend the money for a plasma cutter to go slower.
Saw runs better, job goes smoother, where am I going wrong here?

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Modified in such a manner, it increases the velocity of the port. Which enhances the draw through the motor, allowing it to run more efficiently.

Saw runs better, job goes smoother
I am still learning about effectively modifying mufflers, not just randomly drilling holes and JB welding pipes on. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a plasma torch or a grinder (just a drill and channel locks at this point), would it be worth it for me to take the front of the baffle off like @redline4 or just leave it until I can get proper tools to take out the baffle (or just buy an aftermarket one without the baffle)?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am still learning about effectively modifying mufflers, not just randomly drilling holes and JB welding pipes on. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a plasma torch or a grinder (just a drill and channel locks at this point), would it be worth it for me to take the front of the baffle off like @redline4 or just leave it until I can get proper tools to take out the baffle (or just buy an aftermarket one without the baffle)?
Either is better than doing nothing.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really Doc,
I didn't spend the money for a plasma cutter to go slower.
Saw runs better, job goes smoother, where am I going wrong here?

I've always left the cages in to maintain rigidity. I've seen too many mufflers rattle apart in the woods and then make a guy packout to the truck.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've always left the cages in to maintain rigidity. I've seen too many mufflers rattle apart in the woods and then make a guy packout to the truck.
I have learned so far to take two to three saws with me, usually a main use and backup with another to test after repairing. Having back-up chains is a good idea too. Makes sense leaving the cage in for some stability.