drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
1:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very interesting carb talk. I've had the same issue on 026's. Some get it and some don't.

Basher told me that too much timing advance can cause the bog as well. Counterintuitive, cause advance makes saws have better throttle response in general.

His point was that an advanced Saw would need a richer idle than non advanced and that the fuel would pool up with extended idle. I returned the saw to stock ignition timing and the issue went away.

I'm still confused by this.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
550xp's shouldn't bog, they have an air bleed adjustment to tune that out. If it has a lean bog, then turn the air bleed out so the computer can give it more fuel at idle and stay at the idle speed. On a 562xp you have to cut the divot in the butterfly larger.

On regular carbs pay attention to where you have the butterfly adjusted to get a good idle. Depending on the carb they have 1-3 idle fuel holes, you want only 1 hole to the engine side of the butterfly (low pressure region), if you have more you probably need more air bleed. If the butterfly is open too far, then it starts to put more of the idle fuel holes in the low pressure region behind the butterfly which allows the carb to supply much more fuel. Thus you have to set the low side needle leaner than intended to get a good idle because extra fuel is coming from the other idle holes that normally wouldn't be in the low pressure region. Then when you crack the throttle the carb can't supply enough fuel to make it through the transition zone from the low speed circuit to the high and the engine struggles to accelerate (bog).

Hope that helps!
Great stuff Shawn.

What would your thoughts be in a Saw with normal throttle response but a bog only after sitting too long at idle?

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
12:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't got around to reading all the build threads yet. I will get it done. Lol. That said. I've had great time building this one off saw. But to whom ever gets this saw. If you don't like it you won't hurt my feeling. Well work it out to build ya a not so one off saw. Lol.

Let's get this party started.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
12:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I haven't got around to reading all the build threads yet. I will get it done. Lol. That said. I've had great time building this one off saw. But to whom ever gets this saw. If you don't like it you won't hurt my feeling. Well work it out to build ya a not so one off saw. Lol.

Let's get this party started.
I would love to have it Carl.
It's not a cookie cutter build like I did,yours took thought and time and ingenuity. Kudos my friend

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
11:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hybrids are cool!

Carl, thanks for the thought and time you put into this build! I'm excited to experience your handiwork come June '17 (official start of USFS firewood season).

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well boys I know mike lee builds a very good saw and I got my xmas saw today and I still have the solmar as @Four Paws wasnt in a hurry for it so we'll see how it runs compared to a similar saw. So far it's only been tested against a 7910. And that's not fair. Lol :)View attachment 48252
Well......

Carl..... how'd it go? :aplastao: