davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
6:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same here. I always tune “by ear” and then let idle for 30 seconds and perform a roll-test. Usually I’m ok, but once in a while that lets you know if you’re still too rich.
You guys talking L or H? Cuz I'm talking H. L doesn't generally melt pistons...:D

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
7:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Less available oxygen as you go up in altitude, so yes it will run fatter in Idaho. Same with temperature. A saw tuned lean in hot weather will be very lean in cold weather.

Yup. Don’t tune it rich and then take it to higher elevations.

Also, your tach settings should go down slightly as you go up in elevation. That one messed with me for a while.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In that particular post I was just referring to the Low speed adjustment.

But technically Low speed adjustments slightly affect High speed settings as well.
A buddy told me somewhere around 80% of your fuel comes from the low end, the high end is only there to make the saw run faster.

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My neighbor told me of a different way to tune saws before I could hear a 4-stroke, he makes it scream outta the wood then backs it off about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. Not what I typically use, but it's served him well for 30 years and it works.
Been doing it similar way for over 40yrs, lean it out until you hear it peak and then a rpm drop then back off 1/4 rich, can usually hit within a couple hundred rpms of a book tach number.

Do the same procedure for setting R/C nitro motors some turning upwards of 22,000 rpm.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are we talking about kirk? If so I would be more than willing to help him out with tuning