Traded for Ms660 today

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
660s are tough, durable saws that can run real well.

My 2 cents for whatever it is (or is not) worth!

On stock cylinders, I don't like to remove the baffle, as they can loose torque, but I drill I 1/2" hole in the back of it and advance the timing .020. I also like the low restriction HD-2 filters (or the winter screen filter if you are not milling with it).

IMO, the low cost Huztl mullers have real nice ports, just need to drill that 1/2 hole in the baffle and you are set. If you port the cylinder, I like to take .030 off the timing key, and then remove the baffle completely.

What ever you decide, enjoy it! They are heavy, but I really like them for bucking big wood, ripping big wood, and for milling.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Traded a ms361 and a 365 xtorq for it yesterday. Came across the saw and it was low usage with original 28 inch bar. The build quality on this saw is amazing. I think I’m going to be happy with this one

You did good! That is a beautiful saw! I have a couple myself and they have no problem with 3'+ Honey Locust stumps. I use 461's most of the time, but when a guy needs a little more, the 660's are a great choice IMO.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Because with the full rap handle it's a pain to get the side cover on with captive nuts.

I thought it was easy. I've had 4 R models and the first 2 had captive nuts. Wasn't a problem at all.

There was another reason. And I could be off but someone from out west was talking about the cases cracking in the bar plate area with the studs the captive nuts used since those guys run big bars on the regular.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought it was easy. I've had 4 R models and the first 2 had captive nuts. Wasn't a problem at all.

There was another reason. And I could be off but someone from out west was talking about the cases cracking in the bar plate area with the studs the captive nuts used since those guys run big bars on the regular.
That makes sense.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That’s what I was shown from a couple guys I talked to regularly back when they came out.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
1:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I will own a ported 395xp as (to me) they balance a long bar better than a 660 does and I genuinely like the feel of them. That said, I do love my ported MS660, and it pulls an 8 pin rim with a 36" bar of 3/8" full-comp with authority. I am thinking strongly about switching it over to .404" for stumping and heavier cutting, as it's much more durable in Hedge than 3/8". I also like my 9010 when it's running right. Looks like I'm collecting 40, 50, 60 and 90cc saws. My 372xp is a pissed off mother, but generally when I need something more than 60cc's, I'm reaching for a 90cc saw.