High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Tips for making fish-gill slits in a muffler? IE how to make them "flare out"?

Cerberus

Cerberus the aardvark, not the hell-hound!!
Local time
2:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I don't want to make them on my "important" muffler til I get them down and I'm trying on thinner mufflers w/o much success at anything but hack-job work....I just don't "get it" how to make a proper fish-gill or louver, it's as-if you need to stretch the metal (which of course does not stretch, lol :p )

Would also be curious to hear people's thoughts on the more "meta" subject of placement of gills (or of muffler-exits in general), for instance I'm placing some gills on the top/front half of a muffler that's got an internal baffle plate, the OEM design has zero exits in the rear-half of the muff and neither will my finished product, at any rate for placement of my slits/gills I'm planning to:
- keep them higher on the muffler, like near or on the top of it (because fuel sinks downwards, so would think that higher=better and lower=worse, generally speaking)
- put them dead-center because my baffle prevents a "direct path" from the exhaust-port, to the front-portion of the muffler. This way I keep the 'factory concept' of that first muffler-half being a sealed "extension of the cylinder" before gas escapes-into the front portion where it can exit the muffler (I did significantly enlarge the baffle's passages in this case!)

Thanks a ton for any insight, have tried on a couple throwaway mufflers and hate my results, will not share them LOL they are horrible, cannot get myself to do it on my actual project-saw!!

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never done it but I saw a video of someone cutting the slot with a Dremel cutting wheel and driving a cold chisel in it and prying it open. Have you tried googling it?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never done it but I saw a video of someone cutting the slot with a Dremel cutting wheel and driving a cold chisel in it and prying it open. Have you tried googling it?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
This will work.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut a slit with a dremel wheel. I then use a small anvil or heavy chunk of iron and take my 10 oz ball peen hammer and stretch the metal from the inside first.
Since the slit is a open end it will buckle up when the metal stretches and flair up.
After I've created a hump in the area behind the slit I shape it with a square piece of steel or anything really , striking it with the hammer. 16327013802142026686505450444141.jpg
034 front view 16327014849487701010154355358277.jpg
034 side view 16327015351724813839147055503129.jpg
Craftsman 3400 side view.
Just do a lot of little forceful hits with the hammer don't try and get it all in a few smacks.

cash192t

New OPE Member
Local time
1:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a pair of vise grips, think hvac or sheet metal pliers that are made for bending metal. While I havnt done a muffler I have done just about anything but that lol. they are cheap enough you could buy a pair, cut the pliers head to the width you need. may have to taper them with a grinder after. after you cut your slit with dremel, grinder, whatever. insert pliers, lock on and bend. gives straight even bend. on thicker stuff I heat the ends so they bend without tearing.