They are everywhere

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dead ash,now windblown .I was out in my little patch of woods today and it looks like there must be 100 ash that failed at the roots .All 4-6-8 inches in diameter .We've had 20 MPH wind gusts the last few days and they've been dead long enough for the roots rot at ground level.Must be twice as many in the adjoining woods I have permission to cut in .
Now the good thing is most of it doesn't need split .The bad thing is now I have to cut them up and burn the brush .As if I didn't have anything to do .

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dead ash,now windblown .I was out in my little patch of woods today and it looks like there must be 100 ash that failed at the roots .All 4-6-8 inches in diameter .We've had 20 MPH wind gusts the last few days and they've been dead long enough for the roots rot at ground level.Must be twice as many in the adjoining woods I have permission to cut in .
Now the good thing is most of it doesn't need split .The bad thing is now I have to cut them up and burn the brush .As if I didn't have anything to do .
If they are that dead you shouldn't have any brush to burn.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe not if you wanted to burn 1" limbs and what not .The roots fail long before they toss limbs on these little ones
These little ones don't have the root flair for example a mature 3 footer has .They have nothing to hold them up .For that matter it takes a long time on even a 100 footer to loose limbs.This is some tough azz wood

Last edited:

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I can't believe the amount of dead ash in the woods right now. I was driving an old county backroad and passed a wooded lot that I bet 1 in 5 trees was a dead ash 12" or bigger. This went on for a mile or two at least at that concentration. I asked the adjoining land owner who's property it was and he had never met him. Some investor from the big city that bought it out of an estate years ago. All that woods gonna fall and go to waste soon.

Stihlsmoking

City Hillbilly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most of the ash around here the trunks are broke off about 15 to 20ft up lot of trees going to waste.

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same thing at my farm and adjoining ones. I am in the process of fencing the perimeter of 70 acres and there are a lot of dead ash trees of varying diameters, everywhere. I`m trying to get my brother to come take a bunch but he has as much free time as I do ZERO!

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been trying to stay ahead of them here. Seems like everytime I think I got them all another pops up.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
11:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_2860.PNG Just been doing some research i was shocked how many trees These little suckers have wiped out thousands upon thousands

Luckily we haven't got any emerald borers yet , but we have ash dieback with is pretty serious for our population of ash trees

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just cut a timer sale that had about 2000 ash trees on it. They were all dead. Stained brown junk. You could pack a log trailer full to the top and the truck trailer combo might weigh 78k. At that point it's not worth fooling with. Every tree around here is about to far gone to even be worth firewood. Even the ones that don't look that bad they are just worthless punky pieces of junk. Might as well let them fall down and turn into dirt.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought ash got hard as a rock while standing dead? Read it on here somewhere

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You think it's the end of the species like chesnut or just a setback they are all dead that i have access to.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought ash got hard as a rock while standing dead? Read it on here somewhere
Ash isn't that hard. It's really dusty but not that hard. You want a good hardwood sugar maple is what you want.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ash isn't that hard. It's really dusty but not that hard. You want a good hardwood sugar maple is what you want.
My experience has been like yours- after standing dead for a couple years, the bottom 15' is punky.

I've heard others on here say that they get rock hard after standing dead for 5 years. I think it's a case of mistaken identity. Probably an elm, oak, maple, or ironwood that's still hard after being dead that long

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My experience has been like yours- after standing dead for a couple years, the bottom 15' is punky.

I've heard others on here say that they get rock hard after standing dead for 5 years. I think it's a case of mistaken identity. Probably an elm, oak, maple, or ironwood that's still hard after being dead that long
Maybe they think they are hard trees cause they just ran the chain into the ground?

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You think it's the end of the species like chesnut or just a setback they are all dead that i have access to.
I think it's the end of the species. the borer is very prolific and marching across the country.