STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
7:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a 041 that runs great after you get it started. The problem is when you set the throttle lock for first start it does not open the butterfly any on the carb.. Yes the linkage has a little slop in it.anyone else run into this?
Thank you.
Those saws have a metal rod to the carb a slight tweak should make it open the throttle a bit more

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
8:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20240226_163944.jpg20240226_163940.jpg20240226_164141.jpg
Just to be clear this is why 40yr old shops need your support.
Trying to buy a 404 replacement nose for a my 41" 3002 bar and never getting a straight answer from an online seller is pretty frustrating.
Walked into my old shop locally and walked out with the right one right off the self, the end ... no drama.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 409517View attachment 409518View attachment 409516
Just to be clear this is why 40yr old shops need your support.
Trying to buy a 404 replacement nose for a my 41" 3002 bar and never getting a straight answer from an online seller is pretty frustrating.
Walked into my old shop locally and walked out with the right one right off the self, the end ... no drama.
Luckily I have a fair amount of tips from when I bought the left over stock of an old Stihl shop. But I definitely could see the hassle dealing with some people online that really know nothing about saws but are trying to find the parts you want

bogieboy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Mastermind or anyone else with a good bit of ms661C-M knowledge, would like to pick your brain on this, been running my 661 with the MMWS/cross cylinder, and noticed that the revs seem to hang after a cut, cannot compare to prior to the MMWS cylinder, as saw came to me with a broken piston. sometimes it hangs more than other times, always the same rpm, but varied lengths of time that it hangs, is this normal? saw is a 2018, has the 4701a coil in it, and crankcase did not leak on a pressure/vac test when assembled, crank seals were good as well, intake boot is brand new, and so are fuel lines etc... you can really hear it after the second cut in the video i have at the end of this post. saw was warmed up prior to this set of cuts, had been running for about 10 min, with some easy cuts in spruce prior to these dogged cuts in the spruce. just want to make sure that im not gonna blow this up LOL, and this is the first 661 i have actually run in wood, so i have no knowledge to compare with. closest saw i own to compare is my 280c, with Intellicarb, which does not have the auto idle adjustment of the full M-tronic...

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Mastermind or anyone else with a good bit of ms661C-M knowledge, would like to pick your brain on this, been running my 661 with the MMWS/cross cylinder, and noticed that the revs seem to hang after a cut, cannot compare to prior to the MMWS cylinder, as saw came to me with a broken piston. sometimes it hangs more than other times, always the same rpm, but varied lengths of time that it hangs, is this normal? saw is a 2018, has the 4701a coil in it, and crankcase did not leak on a pressure/vac test when assembled, crank seals were good as well, intake boot is brand new, and so are fuel lines etc... you can really hear it after the second cut in the video i have at the end of this post. saw was warmed up prior to this set of cuts, had been running for about 10 min, with some easy cuts in spruce prior to these dogged cuts in the spruce. just want to make sure that im not gonna blow this up LOL, and this is the first 661 i have actually run in wood, so i have no knowledge to compare with. closest saw i own to compare is my 280c, with Intellicarb, which does not have the auto idle adjustment of the full M-tronic...

Not normal.....and not caused by the cylinder kit. Could be a bunch of different things.

bogieboy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not normal.....and not caused by the cylinder kit. Could be a bunch of different things.
I didnt think it was, nor that it would have been due to the porting... Guessing i am gonna be tearing back down to re-do thepressure/vac check? Any thought on what it could be other than an air leak? Saw has the white solenoid if i recall correctly, checked over the carb at time of build and did not find anything abnormal, diaphragms were supple and showed no signs of warping, so i put em back in to run it... about the only soft parts i did not replace were the crank seals, as they did not leak at the time of testing initially... probably ought to get a set of those as well..

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didnt think it was, nor that it would have been due to the porting... Guessing i am gonna be tearing back down to re-do thepressure/vac check? Any thought on what it could be other than an air leak? Saw has the white solenoid if i recall correctly, checked over the carb at time of build and did not find anything abnormal, diaphragms were supple and showed no signs of warping, so i put em back in to run it... about the only soft parts i did not replace were the crank seals, as they did not leak at the time of testing initially... probably ought to get a set of those as well..
Did it pass the reset procedure without stalling?

bogieboy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did it pass the reset procedure without stalling?
It has had several resets, due to weather, breaking in, and the muffler mods that i have done, and has been perfectly fine on every single one with no stalling... fires right up 2nd pull every time as well

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It has had several resets, due to weather, breaking in, and the muffler mods that i have done, and has been perfectly fine on every single one with no stalling... fires right up 2nd pull every time as well
Has to be a sticky throttle blade then.

bogieboy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heres an interesting thought i had today... with a bark box style front cover, would it be possible that a 661 could loose power from TOO freeflowing of an exhaust? Got to thinking about that today, as i muffler modded my stock muffler (baffle removed and muffler opening carved out to almost the entire deflector worth of size, then added a bark box (homemade) with a 3/4 (or 5/8, forget which i decided on when i drilled the hole) diameter hole in it, and no spark arresting screen. Would there be any benefit to making a block off for the stock muffler outlet location to see if anything would be gained?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heres an interesting thought i had today... with a bark box style front cover, would it be possible that a 661 could loose power from TOO freeflowing of an exhaust? Got to thinking about that today, as i muffler modded my stock muffler (baffle removed and muffler opening carved out to almost the entire deflector worth of size, then added a bark box (homemade) with a 3/4 (or 5/8, forget which i decided on when i drilled the hole) diameter hole in it, and no spark arresting screen. Would there be any benefit to making a block off for the stock muffler outlet location to see if anything would be gained?
No. It's good.

bogieboy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heres a fun question... got a 194t given to me today, had a ring break and hang in a port... what would the collective do with this? Clean up the piston, slap a new ring in and go, put a new slug in it, or full cylinder and slug?

20240320_120143.jpg
17109507232166592708366850021727.jpg

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heres a fun question... got a 194t given to me today, had a ring break and hang in a port... what would the collective do with this? Clean up the piston, slap a new ring in and go, put a new slug in it, or full cylinder and slug?
I would clean up the chip in the transfer and give it another shot. If I was to replace anything, it would be the piston. Not sure how a chip like that will effect the cylinder operation. I have a similar piston that is broken like that, except my chip opens up into the first piston ring groove. I'm not going to chance reusing my piston because how far down it is damaged.

bogieboy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would clean up the chip in the transfer and give it another shot. If I was to replace anything, it would be the piston. Not sure how a chip like that will effect the cylinder operation. I have a similar piston that is broken like that, except my chip opens up into the first piston ring groove. I'm not going to chance reusing my piston because how far down it is damaged.
well, it runs! only chain i had floating around was an 050 full chisel pro chain, and it pulls that thru the hickory branch i have for a small test log, how long it will last? not sure.... probably the weak link will be the ring, as its a cheap chinese ring i had floating around (oddly enough, from a chinese ms180 top end kit i had laying around...found out they are the same ring)

bogieboy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would say its running pretty good, modded the muffler and advanced the timing this morning, and it doesnt care that the chain is 050 full chisel 63PS....LOL got a little hunk of walnut there...