DOLMAR/MAKITA The Official Sachs Dolmar Dolmar Makita Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

FATBOY2017

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No OEM pistons any more, I've ordered a Meteor piston, one of the four remaining Meteor pistons types available for DOLMAR engines
The last Meteor pistons I fitted, 3 in recent times, I had to remove some material from the skirts to get clearance from the crank touching at BDC, ( can't remember if 116i or 120i, or both) but may save you some time. see pictures attached

Attachments

• 20201011_173148_resized (1).jpg
    20201011_173148_resized (1).jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20201011_173140_resized.jpg
    20201011_173140_resized.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20201011_173126_resized.jpg
    20201011_173126_resized.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201011_173116_resized.jpg
    20201011_173116_resized.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 7

FATBOY2017

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a pic of my new piston compared to the old. Definitely had black carbon atop the piston and some weird markings as well... Circlips were intact.

I use amsoil saber, but might give red armour a go for my next gallon

So this new piston has a really loose ring, and the circlips are significantly larger and thicker ga. material... Do yall think this is right?

View attachment 414129View attachment 414130
The carbon doesn't look thick, so shouldn't be an issue, but looks like too much carbon, could be fuel or mixture. Circlips are always a difficult on, the golden rule is to use OEM were possible but as you're using an aftermarket piston you have to be sure that the circlips are the same size and seated properly, fit opening to the top and snip off the hooks on the clips prior to fitting

eric4

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The carbon doesn't look thick, so shouldn't be an issue, but looks like too much carbon, could be fuel or mixture. Circlips are always a difficult on, the golden rule is to use OEM were possible but as you're using an aftermarket piston you have to be sure that the circlips are the same size and seated properly, fit opening to the top and snip off the hooks on the clips prior to fitting

I was really struggling fitting the aftermarket circlips into the piston, so I just threw in the OEM ones and they clicked in securely.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was really struggling fitting the aftermarket circlips into the piston, so I just threw in the OEM ones and they clicked in securely.
You have to be really careful merging OEM with AM parts!

I have an AM piston kit in my PS-6400.
I did utilize a Caber piston ring, and OEM needle bearing, but I had to utilize the AM pin and circlips as they had mismatched dimensions compared to the OEM parts.

It is a gamble!

eric4

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have an AM piston kit in my PS-6400.
I did utilize a Caber piston ring, and OEM needle bearing, but I had to utilize the AM pin and circlips as they had mismatched dimensions compared to the OEM parts.

It is a gamble!
Ok I'll pull the piston and try to put on the aftermarket circlips. I couldn't even fit one on with the piston off the crank, so this should be fun ...

eric4

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Channeled out a larger inlet and trench on my sugihara Stihl bar, for the 7900 today... Really flings the oil, which is reassuring.

I've only run it in some firewood test cuts in the backyard. It's yet to be tested on the mountain, felling or bucking a full bar.

Even after a few cuts, I feel the big bore power, but the muffler is really holding in a lot of heat when the saw is turned off. I can hear it crackle for a while after running. Sounds like a muffler mod is in the near future.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Channeled out a larger inlet and trench on my sugihara Stihl bar, for the 7900 today... Really flings the oil, which is reassuring.

I've only run it in some firewood test cuts in the backyard. It's yet to be tested on the mountain, felling or bucking a full bar.

Even after a few cuts, I feel the big bore power, but the muffler is really holding in a lot of heat when the saw is turned off. I can hear it crackle for a while after running. Sounds like a muffler mod is in the near future.
If Your saw has the SLR muffler do the mod ASAP!

FATBOY2017

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I'll pull the piston and try to put on the aftermarket circlips. I couldn't even fit one on with the piston off the crank, so this should be fun ...
I trashed a Husqvarna 365 cylinder after fitting a new Meteor piston kit, which I automatically fitted new OEM clips to without realising / checking that OE were slightly too big, hence not fully fitting into the circlip groove, circlip came out putting a heavy groove in the cylinder! another costly lesson leaned!!

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The last Meteor pistons I fitted, 3 in recent times, I had to remove some material from the skirts to get clearance from the crank touching at BDC,
Same here, but only with the piston for the 116si/PS-6000i. All other Meteor pistons I have used so far were a perect fit.
The circplip's thickness should match the width and depth of the piston's grove so best use the ones supplied with the piston

eric4

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The circplip's thickness should match the width and depth of the piston's grove so best use the ones supplied with the piston

I took back apart the ps-510 to install the aftermarket circlips. I've been fighting even the first one, with the piston totally removed, and still can't get it installed. Can't imagine any possibility on installing the second one...

Would it be a bad idea to cut off the inner hook? I've never struggled this much with a simple circlip.

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
8:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took back apart the ps-510 to install the aftermarket circlips. I've been fighting even the first one, with the piston totally removed, and still can't get it installed. Can't imagine any possibility on installing the second one...

Would it be a bad idea to cut off the inner hook? I've never struggled this much with a simple circlip.
Are you positive the circlips that came with the piston are the correct size? Mistakes do happen and it is certainly possible the incorrect clips were inserted into the packaging for the piston.

eric4

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It kinda seems like it...

On the left is OEM piston with OEM circlip, the right is Aftermarket piston, aftermarket circlip.

There's a lot more airspace between the ends of the circlip for OEM, making it possible to install. It looks like I even started to deform the circlips on the aftermarket piston trying to get them in...

20240407_140103.JPG

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a guy bring in a saw today to get the starter fixed (Jenn Feng McCulloch 55cc).

When he started it after I'd repaired the starter, it was running backwards. He switched it off and looked confused.

I surmised it must have kicked back and got going backwards, I suggested he try it again and it was running the the proper direction...

Mark