DOLMAR/MAKITA The Official Sachs Dolmar Dolmar Makita Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
1:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a marketing thing. The 'Dolmar' brand was not promoted sufficiently in the US. At least it will still be available under the 'Makita' name, in a different color. Could have been worse!

Philbert

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
7:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a marketing thing. The 'Dolmar' brand was not promoted sufficiently in the US. At least it will still be available under the 'Makita' name, in a different color. Could have been worse!

Philbert

Yes gotta agree there the same in the uk in early makita days in the uk it was so under marketed and even up to a couple of years ago hardly any advertising done at all and even now there are workers in the trade that remembered Dolmar years ago but didn't realise they where still going
And Makita UK aren't pushing the Dolmar name out there either

But Iam :yikes:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Dolmar name is prevailing in Europe, for now.
But I have the feeling that Makita is slowly pushing the Dolmar name out of the picture - brand takeover.
Makita also seems to be increasingly moving production to the East.

I like my Dolmar's to be Dolmar red, and I like them to say Made in Germany!

This, 100%. A saw that says Makita and is not made in Germany is not a Dolmar, regardless of who designed it. I understand that the Makita EA-5000 is made in Germany and is a rebranded Dolmar saw. However, if I'm going to buy a Dolmar saw I want it to say Dolmar. Heck, I'm such a Luddite that I think they should still be branded Sachs-Dolmar!!

Dolmar has been making saws for 90 years now and has earned a excellent reputation, even if the firm is not terribly famous. Makita is an industrial giant with a good reputation, but they are not a chainsaw maker just like Dolmar is not a cordless drill maker. As of now, still nobody carries Makita saws locally here other than one big box store chain and some rental places. Meaning, the Makita saws have even less of a retail presence than the Dolmar saws. Personally, I think that if Makita goes through with fully supplanting the Dolmar brand in the USA they are going to lose dealers and overall market share, especially considering how most Dolmar dealers already sell other brands as their main line. If they really are itching to stamp the Makita name on the saws, they should just add the Makita name in addition to Dolmar. Perhaps on the recoil sticker, it could say "Dolmar EA-5000" with the Makita script below that. Or, take a page from the past and name the line Makita-Dolmar. :idea:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes gotta agree there the same in the uk in early makita days in the uk it was so under marketed and even up to a couple of years ago hardly any advertising done at all and even now there are workers in the trade that remembered Dolmar years ago but didn't realise they where still going
And Makita UK aren't pushing the Dolmar name out there either

But Iam :yikes:

Rock on, me too.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Its also a production thing...Dolmar were there in the early yrs of saw production and development and because saws were not as common as they are today grew to the size they were with the marketing decisions taken by the company before makita took them over.
In the mean time as saw Tech progressed Stihl got bigger and bigger along side Husqvarna becoming the Behemoths they are today with a global manufacturing bace to cover many markets ..USA even having its own production.
So back in the 1990's Dolmar was still small competing with the big 2 and Makita wanted the company "for what ever reason" ...i do not know the behind the scene detail.
Further on in time Makita have set up manufacturing plants that Dolmar didn't have to allow for bigger production of "Machines" because the company "could " generate bigger volume than Dolmar did before. Its not just saws, remember "Fuji Robin " ? hedge trimmers , weed wackers ..etc ..guess what you get in some designs from Dol /Mak.
This hole situation is Waaaay more complex than I fully understand or know about ,... but ...as i said earlier ...."Brands can be a personal thing" for whatever reason that is .
If you ask most folks "who make chainsaws" ? I bet they would say ether Stihl or Husqvarna ....not.. Makita , Dolmar, Echo ,Shindaiwa ,Tanaka, Red max..to mention a few.
I remember when Jonsered were on the high street here...not now ,but they still exist within the Elec/Husq/Redmax....etc Group in othere parts of the globe . There is a familiarity there maybe along with many other products and company's that once were different.

Last edited:

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah, I know that these saws come only with the inner small EU spike - I so far have three of these saws. :confused:
Was just checking whether anything changed.

Do Yourself a favor and purchase the outer clutch cover spike to match the inner one, the saw is much more stable with dual spikes when directly against the trees bark! :)
Chain chatter vibrations also seem to transfer much lesser to the saw when she's set up with dual spikes.

I know what it means to only have wood to cut that falls into the 40/50cc saw category - but I still utilize my PS-6400 & PS-7900, they're much more fun! :b1::banana:

They also help my arms to become longer ower time. :lol:
There you go....the Euro 7910 look with the duel spikes we talked about with 24" bar .

Photo1160.jpg Photo1161.jpg
More importantly ...are these ! :)
Photo1163.jpg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There you go....the Euro 7910 look with the duel spikes we talked about with 24" bar .

View attachment 83514 View attachment 83515
More importantly ...are these ! :)
View attachment 83516
So sexy!!! :love:
I think I want one just so I can play with quadruplets. :icon12:

I'm glad You got Yourself the outer spike, to me it makes all the difference in handling! :)

What do You need the Hosentraeger for, isn't Your hard on holding Your trousers up while using Your Dolmar PS-7910? :lol:

I just love these saws!
I wish I could get much more run time on mine.
DSC03608.JPG DSC03569.JPG

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So sexy!!! :love:
I think I want one just so I can play with quadruplets. :icon12:

I'm glad You got Yourself the outer spike, to me it makes all the difference in handling! :)

What do You need the Hosentraeger for, isn't Your hard on holding Your trousers up while using Your Dolmar PS-7910? :lol:

I just love these saws!
I wish I could get much more run time on mine.
View attachment 83526 View attachment 83527
:D:D ..Will look out for that when i try the saw !
All iv done is start it and warmed it for 30 seconds then re started it.
With the 24" bar/3/8 1.5mm chain and 1/2 tank of oil it came in at 19.4 lb , not bad i thought.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:D:D ..Will look out for that when i try the saw !
All iv done is start it and warmed it for 30 seconds then re started it.
With the 24" bar/3/8 1.5mm chain and 1/2 tank of oil it came in at 19.4 lb , not bad i thought.
You know Your just teasing Yourself doing that! ;)
Find a log or stump and get going.
I'm telling You, You'll be actively looking for large diameter logs to bury that 24" bar into.

Bugs were eating at me and I was sweating like a pig, but this was by far the most fun I had this Year.
36" solid steel bar BTW.
DSC02569.JPG DSC02573.JPG

I've never bothered weighing my saws.
I go by as long as she looks and feels right I don't care what she weighs!
Just as a good looking woman can't be just bones and skin.

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would like to have some of these decals made. The only difference is I want it to have "5105" instead of "PS-7900". Anybody on here that can make them for me? Or, know someone that can?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 10

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would like to have some of these decals made. The only difference is I want it to have "5105" instead of "PS-7900". Anybody on here that can make them for me? Or, know someone that can?
Try Andrew @ajschainsaws if you dont get a reply about someone close to home. He ..Might ..be able to help

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Got these here if there any good too you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 10

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You know Your just teasing Yourself doing that! ;)
Find a log or stump and get going.
I'm telling You, You'll be actively looking for large diameter logs to bury that 24" bar into.

Bugs were eating at me and I was sweating like a pig, but this was by far the most fun I had this Year.
36" solid steel bar BTW.
View attachment 83528 View attachment 83529

I've never bothered weighing my saws.
I go by as long as she looks and feels right I don't care what she weighs!
Just as a good looking woman can't be just bones and skin.

I gotta admit that when I bought my 1st 7910 1 used it and was overcome with joy it had the wow factor it was like having a 2-stroke dirt bike after using an old 4-stroker awesome

I didn't get that immediate love of a saw with the 6100 it took a while too grow on me ha ha

Give it some rip simon

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd love to get a spare of that style of sticker for my PS-6400 & PS-7900!
These are the original sticker version!
Do You possibly have a spare to sell me?

The new versions that are available look like the one @ajschainsaws posted.
They are easy to come by from any Dolmar dealer.
The part number for the sticker ajschainsaws posted is: 980 115 676

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm a weirdo and I like the design of those I posted a picture of better. I sent a message to a guy on Fleabay who makes saw decals who goes by Decal Dan. Don't know if he is on here or not.

AJ, how much would ya want for those in USD? I can PM you my address for shipping.

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I gotta admit that when I bought my 1st 7910 1 used it and was overcome with joy it had the wow factor it was like having a 2-stroke dirt bike after using an old 4-stroker awesome

I didn't get that immediate love of a saw with the 6100 it took a while too grow on me ha ha

Give it some rip simon
I just purchased my first 6100 and I to am not as enamored with the design and ergonomics as I had hoped for. I am an avid enthusiast of the 6400-7910 series, also love the older styled 401 or 540 that I have I thought it would be close enough to the EA5000 (5105) that I also own, that I would appreciate it equally, but not as of yet(sadly) Perhaps I just need to port it and add the very affordable wrap handle, to make it my own or just sell it and go ahead and purchase something that I know I love using!!!???!!!...

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just purchased my first 6100 and I to am not as enamored with the design and ergonomics as I had hoped for. I am an avid enthusiast of the 6400-7910 series, also love the older styled 401 or 540 that I have I thought it would be close enough to the EA5000 (5105) that I also own, that I would appreciate it equally, but not as of yet(sadly) Perhaps I just need to port it and add the very affordable wrap handle, to make it my own or just sell it and go ahead and purchase something that I know I love using!!!???!!!...

I like the way mine handles. I did put the full wrap on because I like them.

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I like the way mine handles. I did put the full wrap on because I like them.
Yes I feel sure it will grow on me, I also like the advantages offered with a full wrap.
The saw wouldn't have a cult like following if it didn't have many great attributes, perhaps I just expected to much based on the hype and only need to give it time to also become one of my many favorite's.
Porting would probably put it over the top...