Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
6:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still theorizing about why 2broke's 7-10 won't idle with an 85239 in it..., thinking maybe it has an earlier cylinder from say a 6-10 with porting that doesn't like the full open window of the 85239 at idle rpm's.

I have had bad condensors do that. Only had two out of the countless macs that have come through my hands.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some will say there aren't many gains to be found in the 10 series porting design and the timing numbers are already quite optimized. Certainly can't do much with squish due to the shortblock design. I have recently seen a pretty impressive 10-10 that a Buckin' Billy Ray fan tweaked a bit and sent to him. The name escapes me at the moment but @Marshy probably knows who I mean. I'd certainly like to know more about him and what tweaks he's throwin' at em. All I know is if Bobby Walker says there's not much more you can get from em cylinder porting-wise there probably isn't.

That said, there are certainly gains to be found by a slight timing advance and optimizing the intake and exhaust and using the right carburetor and essentially a stack disguised as a muffer. Hell, one of those stock will scare ya if you happen to run across one with the right combination.

But I've yet to see any detailed examples of significant cylinder port work on any 10 series saw besides guys deleting the 'Q' port on PM800's, 8200's, etc., and doin' a little intake and exhaust grinding here and there. Heard a lot o' braggin', tho.

Would certainly like to see some pics o' that McMagic port work as I'm sure lots o' folks would.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a suggestion if you can find the muffler with a curvature at the bottom which was used on various models of the 10 series it's a better option than the square bottom type .I have one on a 6-10 that came from an early 10-10 and on the early 850 engine which is under 805 clothing .They make a difference but ear protection is mandatory .
Also on the 6-10 the carb is a hodge podge of parts and I can't remember if it's a Tilley or a Walbro .However the choke portion is larger than the main butterfly and as such I think it acts like a ram tube .It was just an idea or experiment that worked .more luck than sense .

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

msellers

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good running I would think 50-75 is very fair for you. All depends on condition and how bad you want one on value to you. Hopefully someone with more current fair market value will chime in soon. Have any pictures of it that you could post?

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

msellers

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With the current market taking off like it seems to be. Based on the pictures, from the post. You probably would be doing alright. Is the $170 shipped?

msellers

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Honestly I think we might be dreaming on the 50-75 prices now. A year ago that was good, now they seem to be the rarity.
@Steve had a very nice 3-10e for sale he had worked over. Not sure if he sold it or not. Might be worth reaching out to him on it. He is a solid guy, done right by me on all the purchases I have made from him.