Milwaukee M18 Hatchet

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wondering if anyone here has one of these M18 Hatchets?

Likes, dislikes, or are they a waste?

3004-20_102.png

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wife bought the M12 version. Cuts well but the operator presence button ruins the show. I can’t keep my thumb on it for very long because it’s in such an awkward spot.
Everything but the chain is made in China, even the box it comes in. Premium price for Chinese stuff is a bad deal. A friend has one of those $50 outfits that is made in China and I might try one of those next Summer.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
4:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The standard Milwaukee saw and polesaw are kinda handy based off the time I used em, and Milwaukee stuff in general is pretty darn good.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't speak for the hatchet, but I've been impressed with the other Milwaukee M18 tools I've used - particularly the cordless die grinder.

The hatchet has to be better then using a Sawzall for small wood.

Most of the tradesman M18 tools I have, I've been impressed with them. A few thou could be better.

DSCN5782.JPG

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wife bought the M12 version. Cuts well but the operator presence button ruins the show. I can’t keep my thumb on it for very long because it’s in such an awkward spot.
Everything but the chain is made in China, even the box it comes in. Premium price for Chinese stuff is a bad deal. A friend has one of those $50 outfits that is made in China and I might try one of those next Summer.

The operator presence button on the M18 hatchet is in a better spot, then it is on the M12 hatchet, from what I gleaned in a YouTube video.

I don't own any M12 tools or battery's. But I have a plethora of M18 stuff kicking around, so that's why I was considering a M18 hatchet.

It's hard to get away from things made in china. I try most times not to buy china stuff. But sometimes it's not possible.

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one of those Chinese $50 ones. Save your money.

Clarkbug

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got one of the M12 ones for my wife. She uses it all the time for pruning or when we are trimming stuff to put in the chipper. Not too heavy that it wears you out, and is decent on burning the batteries up, depending on what you are cutting. Uses a full house chain, so not super easy to get replacements or use a filing guide on.

If you are in the battery system, it's worth a shot if you need something small. I agree the operator presence button is a pain, but for what it is it works well.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the wife one and while I feel it’s going to be very nice for cleaning up those branches that the shears won’t cut neither one of us has used it yet. Make sure you shop around as I was able to get mine tool only price plus a free 6.0 battery. Lucky for my a good friend of mine is a gear wrench tool jockey so I get deals.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have one, and I hate to say it, but I like it.

Battery life is great, you can use it one handed without any problem, and it has a ton of torque.

I used it recently to help a neighbor on the cleanup of a large red elm tree. In wood smaller than 4" it worked excellent for cleaning up the brush and smaller sticks. He laughed at me at first, as he has a Stihl top handle saw, but near the end of the cleanup we kept fighting over the hatchet for the small stuff

Edit: If I wasn't already in the battery system, I don't think I would have purchased it. For that kind of money, if you have to get a battery or two, you can get into a top handle echo.

cescarbrough

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wondering if anyone here has one of these M18 Hatchets?

Likes, dislikes, or are they a waste?

View attachment 403152
I ran one for a while and it is a good tool. It makes up in torque what it lacks in speed, but overall it cuts really well. The only reason I don't have it any longer is because I have an arborist Echo saw that I can run one-handed, and I didn't need both.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
4:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The hatchet has to be better then using a Sawzall for small wood.

Most of the tradesman M18 tools I have, I've been impressed with them. A few thou could be better.

View attachment 403160

The cordless die grinder and 1/4" ratchet are winners for sure. They've got a couple of cordless lights so I'm thinking about trying one of those.

Northern_clear

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My cousin is a engineer for Milwaukee and to my knowledge the only things made in the United States are non battery operated hand tools. He's tried getting his designs made in the states, but corporate says it costs to much to do business here...

morewood

Mr. Awesome
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried one at a trade show last year, loved it. All of my tools are Makita and they don't make one like that. I do like Makita's small saw as I have one of those and their pole saw. Great to have around if you have the battery system.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Northern clear. Please tell your cousin, that in the late eighties, I sometimes ran a 1/4" variable speed Milwaukee drill, on the job. (corded drill)
That thing was smooth enough that I could risk running an 8-32 "gun" tap in it (free hand).
Slow speed and heavy oiled tap.
Hole was an open/through hole in hot rolled steel, bout 5/8 to 3/4 thick, depending on the work piece (turned plate cylinders for corrugated box presses).

Darn Good spindle bearings and trigger control in that one!

My cousin is a engineer for Milwaukee and to my knowledge the only things made in the United States are non battery operated hand tools. He's tried getting his designs made in the states, but corporate says it costs to much to do business here...

Last edited:

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have both the 12v & 18v which were gifted to me. They mostly sit idle due to having a Makita XCU06 (10" 18v top handle) in stable as well. Agree with others who say the perch is a bit awkward. Neither has endearing qualities over the Makita. The 18v oil cap likes to come loose...er mine did and made a mess anyways.

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The cordless die grinder and 1/4" ratchet are winners for sure. They've got a couple of cordless lights so I'm thinking about trying one of those.
the lights are really good. I have the m12 hatchet, it is fairly handy but is kinda pricey for what it is.

crowslayer17

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Please pass this on as well.
The 2830 circular saw has 3 major flaws.
1. It throws the saw dust right in your face, I had to put duct tape over the port, which helps quite a bit.
2. The handle on the guard rotates right into the way so you can not see the blade cutting the line. Everyone I know cuts this way rather than using the front guide. I think it just gives you a more precise cut.
3. The base plate is too weak due to the dished out shape under the motor. It easily bends if it just falls of the sawhorses or tossed on the ground. Especially bad if the plate is lowered to cut shallow.
* Also the new M18 3AH battery design is too long for a short impact driver like the Surge. It requires you to use longer bit. I do realize that the larger base makes it is more stable sitting on the battery, but workwise it sucks.
* Speaking of the Surge, it is too easy to hit the power selection button and change the setting while using it. For me it happens all the time.
Overall Milwaukee M18 Fuel tools have been great. Tons of power, quality build, and great battery life.