foragefarmer

70cc groupie
Local time
12:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A331C6BA-A97A-47D4-8986-7FFCA0B58A8D.jpeg

The 362 is half a yo-yo. I told the person they are still under warranty and I shouldn’t look at them they need to go to the dealer. That way they can hear how expensive the mistake was since it was user error. Then maybe I can try to salvage them for the person, if they want to go that route. Busy enough as it is frankly.

Funny how if you just piddle with chainsaws for long enough they just start showing up at your door.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That last part is especially true. Hard to tell the guy who brings his 445 x torq to you that looks like its been dragged down a gravel road that its a POS thats not worth fixing lol.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just think of the owner here that brought 3 brand new Stihl hedgers that was burned up in less than a hour of him getting them to his place by his workers. He nearly fell down down when I showed him the damage. Luckily I slide a chair under him before he hit the floor. Needless to say those guys lost their jobs.

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just had a guy drop off an Echo 670, will you look at it.? Pulled rope, felt weird. Popped top off, air box full of saw dust but a brand new air cleaner! Hmmm. Pulled muffler, piston looked really good. Kept pulling rope to see intake side of cylinder. Looked like a bar code. Told him next Saw change or clean filter before it quits.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 160231

The 362 is half a yo-yo. I told the person they are still under warranty and I shouldn’t look at them they need to go to the dealer. That way they can hear how expensive the mistake was since it was user error. Then maybe I can try to salvage them for the person, if they want to go that route. Busy enough as it is frankly.

Funny how if you just piddle with chainsaws for long enough they just start showing up at your door.
Yup on that last statement. How bout when you agree to take a look at one for someone and you find a potato sack full of them in your office, while in work attire?

It’s funny how accepting that you’ll look at one becomes a fiasco.

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup on that last statement. How bout when you agree to take a look at one for someone and you find a potato sack full of them in your office, while in work attire?

It’s funny how accepting that you’ll look at one becomes a fiasco.
After I gave the guy back the 670 Echo he hands me a top handle Echo and a Jred. Can you fix these? NO!

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry for the derail OP.

My guy asked me about an 028S that wouldn’t run and was “scored” as per repair shop. I said ok, then there is an 028S, and 025 and an 026PrO in my office one day. I’m like wtf. Ported the 026 for him and now he doesn’t want any other saw. Unfortunately, that was after fixing the 028S. The 025 that wouldn’t start and dealer couldn’t figure out was missing the choke linkage rod. The $7 repair was laughable.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 160231

I find this a painful subject.
Straight Gas situations need not happen !! If the owner looked through the user manual for a start !
I make a point of checking with customers who I am seeing for the first time or im not sure about, that they understand what they need to do regarding fuel mix ratio, storage,oil grade and so on..Its part of a PDI on new equipment .
On service items I still double check on the mix ratio with the customer as I want to be sure Im tuning the motor to run on the ratio they intend to use.
Overall though....customers should tell those who are going to use the machines (if not themselves ) about the fuel they need if they are in any doubt along with taking some ownership of educating themselves about there equipment. Read...The.. Dam...Manual !!!!!!:facepalm:

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even us that know better can make mistakes. I know I toasted two my blowers by picking up the wrong fuel can because I was in a hurry. I have since made sure I no longer have identical fuel containers for 2 c mix vs 4C fuel.

And yes I know it was stupid of me but at least they were my own machines and were older units. I rebuilt the new one. The older one I parted out.

As far reading the OM some are not readable just pictures. And we got to remember even in this day and age we still have people that can't read or write.

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Straight Gas situations need not happen !! If the owner looked through the user manual for a start !

...or if the owner had, like, ever heard a 2-stroke engine run.

"Golly, this sound different than my lawnmower! What go in fuel tank? Water? Gear oil? Antifreeze? Blinker fluid?"
drif.gif

(I guess that's not as bad as putting 90 gal of gas into a rod-holder on a boat until bilge pumps start dumping it overboard.)

I can be pretty stupid, too, which is why I have a dedicated 2T fuel can that has written all over it:
2 STROKE FUEL ONLY!
40-to-1.
89 octane minimum.

My biggest fear is getting gas but then forgetting to put oil in it (or putting oil in twice). On my special 2T fuel can, I use a piece of surveyor's tape to hold the funnel on, and I tie the loose end of the tape around the handle until I remember to put in the oil, then remove the tape from the handle. Hopefully the tape will warn me if I ever f up.

Sorry for the derail, OP!

Last edited:

foragefarmer

70cc groupie
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even us that know better can make mistakes. I know I toasted two my blowers by picking up the wrong fuel can because I was in a hurry. I have since made sure I no longer have identical fuel containers for 2 c mix vs 4C fuel.

And yes I know it was stupid of me but at least they were my own machines and were older units. I rebuilt the new one. The older one I parted out.

As far reading the OM some are not readable just pictures. And we got to remember even in this day and age we still have people that can't read or write.

I haven't toasted anything but I have got so close as to pour straight gas into a tank and caught the color difference.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
...or if the owner had, like, ever heard a 2-stroke engine run.

"Golly, this sound different than my lawnmower! What go in fuel tank? Water? Gear oil? Antifreeze? Blinker fluid?"
drif.gif

I can be pretty stupid, too, which is why I have a dedicated 2T fuel can that has written all over it:
2 STROKE FUEL ONLY!
40-to-1.
89 octane minimum.
For me it is the same thought process with anything new or unfamiliar....check first and eliminate mistakes.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I haven't toasted anything but I have got so close as to pour straight gas into a tank and caught the color difference.
I have to show some customers the colour in a clear beaker before they make the connection that the dye in there 2 st oil is there for a reason !
Aspen (alkylate pre mixed 50:1 ) is the interesting one as it is moderate straw yellow in its ready to use form and just the same colour as stale unleaded :D