STIHL MS 400

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That may be before VAT, which is 23%(which brings it closer to €900). FRJ usually do well for pricing, but they will not ship outside the UK.

Having said it, 67cc is pretty impressive in that package. Not only a bit lighter than the 462, but smaller.
I wonder what the bore and stroke are. The chassis looks familiar. The 362 had a lot of meat on them.
Same stroke as a 462 (34mm) and a 50mm bore calculates out to 66cc i believe.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That may be before VAT, which is 23%(which brings it closer to €900). FRJ usually do well for pricing, but they will not ship outside the UK.

Having said it, 67cc is pretty impressive in that package. Not only a bit lighter than the 462, but smaller.
I wonder what the bore and stroke are. The chassis looks familiar. The 362 had a lot of meat on them.
Stihl new policy and it’s strict is sell saws in person

MarcS

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First look and I like it. Talking to a local dealer that’s selling a lot of 462’s but they are fresh and an easy sell to the pros. This saw should be hot with the firewood and farmer crowd...a modern iteration of the mighty 038 series!

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Most dealers have been adhering to that for decades. When it comes to FRJ, I meant to say they have great prices, but they do not ship anything outside of the UK, whether Stihl or Echo or Husky. They won't even ship to me here in Ireland, and I am 60 mins from the UK.
Having said that, I know a few Stihl dealers that will ship saws to me, but I already know them well.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think that is such a new policy.

used to skip that before but not nowadays it is strict
Ofcourse people have ways to veer off but not as in the past
For us here there is an exception to Professionals as there is an ID Card for loggers from the Ministry

personally I don’t have problems with the policy. It is what it is and with economic crisis many people here acquire chainsaws and some bad accidents happened so better enter a store and at least also get informed for protection equipment etc

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Madsens will send Oregon chain but not Stihl last I checked. They have excellent pricing, but won't sell Stihl across state lines to keep their pricing benefit from volume sales. Factory plan for long while from Stihl.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Price. Some would but it to save 10 bucks, just how people are. IMHO this is why 60cc saws exist at all, to fill the price gap.

price what price? They gonna give extra 300+ to port the hell out of them so they run with the next upper class

If anything i ll wait to see how the market responds

last year i had two 462's from early summer 2018 and i was reading comments how bad they would be from people who haven't seen a pic of them
By the time they released them in US market everyone was buying one and spoke for a nice saw

go figure out

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
price what price? They gonna give extra 300+ to port the hell out of them so they run with the next upper class

If anything i ll wait to see how the market responds

last year i had two 462's from early summer 2018 and i was reading comments how bad they would be from people who haven't seen a pic of them
By the time they released them in US market everyone was buying one and spoke for a nice saw

go figure out
Calm down I never sad whether or not the 400 was going to be a good saw, how should I know, I bet it will be just fine. However if the saw has about the same weight as a 462, the only reason to buy one would be to save some cash. On top of that I just am not a fan of most 60cc saws, especially the modern ones. And most don't have a clue what a ported saw is or the fact they even exist.[emoji111]

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is about 1/2 lb lighter than a 462, and with 67 ccs, it should have some good torque.

Now if it cost $100 - $300 less than a 462 … it should be enough saw for most people.

A lot of folks think 60 cc makes the best all around saw. This is more ccs with the same weight, should have a good following.

Last edited:

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is about 1/2 lb lighter than a 462, and with mid 67 ccs, it should have some good torque.

Now if it cost $100 - $300 less than a 462 … it should be enough saw for most people.

A lot of folks think 60 cc makes the best all around saw. This is more ccs with the same weight, should have a good following.
Do we know it's a 1/2 lb lighter? pics of both saws on a scale with fuel and oil?. Until then we really don't know IMHO. I agree 60cc saws are all most will ever need, but lots of good options in 60cc often for a whole lot less.[emoji111]

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do we know it's a 1/2 lb lighter? pics of both saws on a scale with fuel and oil?. Until then we really don't know IMHO. I agree 60cc saws are all most will ever need, but lots of good options in 60cc often for a whole lot less.[emoji111]

The 462 has the same stroke as the 362 as the 400, right? Which makes sense by a production stand point.

Empty PHO 462's on scales are showing between 13lbs 4.6 and 13lbs 4.8 ounces according to Brad and Backtroller. New model 362's show 12lbs 6.4 ounces according to Randy.

So... slap on a 66.8 cc top end, reduce the timing a bit so she runs a bit cooler and won't threaten the 462 in youtube vids on the Swedish Homestead channel, add a bit larger top end to cope with more size and heat, reduce the price 250 bucks below the 462, et voila' - a 12lb 12 ounce 67cc saw for the masses. Maybe...