STIHL MS 400

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Increased stroke will tend to increase torque (more than increased bore), but rotational mass does not increase it, it just keeps the engines RPMs a bit more consistent. (slower to both accelerate and decelerate). You may have to start your cut more cautiously with less mass, but it will not give you any additional torque once you are in the cut. (If anything, the additional weight may slightly reduce power).

That said, it will make it easier to operate consistently.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
7:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We’ll have to see how it works out I guess, the coating on the piston must help keep the heat from soaking into the piston since according to the article the manganese retains heat 60% more and heat isn’t any engines friend.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Increased stroke will tend to increase torque (more than increased bore), but rotational mass does not increase it, it just keeps the engines RPMs a bit more consistent. (slower to both accelerate and decelerate). You may have to start your cut more cautiously with less mass, but it will not give you any additional torque once you are in the cut. (If anything, the additional weight may slightly reduce power).

That said, it will make it easier to operate consistently.
Flywheel weight is more momentum then torque, but it still does give you some. It can severely hurt acceleration which is why when guys are making race saws they lighten the flywheel.[emoji111]

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always preferred a heavier flywheel, as with street tires it will allow you to launch at lower RPMs and make controlling your traction easier.

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Am i the only one thab worry about the price with all those high tech?
The development costs get amortized across hundreds of thousands of products. They might (probably) charge a premium when still new, but some of the features will make it into their homeowner saws, string trimmers, etc., if they pan out.

Of course, there are plenty of good STIHL saws out there now, so if the new model is too pricey, stick with the old reliables!

Philbert

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Flywheel weight is more momentum then torque, but it still does give you some. It can severely hurt acceleration which is why when guys are making race saws they lighten the flywheel.[emoji111]
Yup I agree, the flywheel reduction on a production chainsaw by removing fins was more for reducing drag though.
But in my bikesaws case, its new PVL ignition is a full lb. lighter then it's original OEM ignition.
Will be interesting to see how much more top end I'll get after the rebuild.
From the PVL brochure they have up to 20 oz solid brass weights to bolt on. No good for cold start cookie cutting.
20190909_090559.jpg

Cobby08

I’m a face down ass up guy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I read about the magnesium pistons a few places too and I’m still not seeing a benefit myself. Husqvarna was working on one with some casting place and a university also. The piston will be lighter which will slow faster rev but won’t the lighter piston take away torque because less mass. The piston will need to be thicker for equal strength and it dissipates heat 60% slower which I also see as a drawback. I realize the coating is to probably prevent the heat from soaking into the piston as much but it still can’t transfer it away as fast even if it’s absorbing less. Also is this going to be an oem only piston since the aftermarket is going to probably still use aluminum and the cylinder will be designed around the magnesium piston due to different expansion rates and maybe even ring materials.
It will be lighter to give it quicker reving but the main part that most are overthinking, the concept was/is proposed as the same effect as a shear bolt. They have straight gassed these mag piston saws like they are seeing happen more and more often in the real world and its destroying piston but cylinder is fine and can be reused. Kinda a double edged sword but for as often as it sounds seems like a neat idea IF it works as planned.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products/stihl-ms-400-c-m-chainsaw-66-8cc/

Seems a large discount from 1.000 to 631gbp for the ms400 in UK

That may be before VAT, which is 23%(which brings it closer to €900). FRJ usually do well for pricing, but they will not ship outside the UK.

Having said it, 67cc is pretty impressive in that package. Not only a bit lighter than the 462, but smaller.
I wonder what the bore and stroke are. The chassis looks familiar. The 362 had a lot of meat on them.