bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh they run good. Smoother than my 660. More rpm. Works great with a 28 3/8 50. It should pull 404. The 36 3/8 50 full comp was too much for mine. Bone stock saw 029 coil.

They must have a short blowdown time. 16-18 I'll bet.

Doubt I'll run 404 on it. I have a few dozen 6 cube saws for that. But 28 3/8 sounds about right.

Thanks

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of mine with a full wrap handle came out of a repair shop in northern Minnesota .As I recall it had a bad coil,would not advance so therefore at ran at restricted rpm's . A replacement coil fixed that .These and the 042 had self advancing coils so to jump the timing I doubt would help any .Probably just make it hard to start .That one needs a clutch side seal which I have one left .It's a back burner project .
Now the funny part is the guy who had the coil was also on A-S and didn't know what it was .At that time I wasn't banished and told him it was in fact 048 .He put it on flea bay and I bought it for a whole 5 dollars .Nobody evidently wanted it .

Good point on the timing.

Darn full wraps are tough to find. Don't you also need a matching sprocket cover so it will fit?

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A former Stihl mechanic told me Stihl wanted to get that saw into the US forest service and their firefighters. Not sure if it’s true but he had some great posters of Stihl 048s with the caption “ only the strong survive “ with a forest service guy holding an 048 after a forest fire in Idaho.
There’s two options of air filter cover on those which can be a hassle if you break the one you have.

Would be cool to find one of those posters.

Thanks

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There also might have been two styles of mufflers.Both mine are one piece baffled but I believe there was a two piece pressure can .I can't remember about the 042,too cold out now to check the shed .

I have a very nice two piece pressure can on mine now. Too nice to grind on. I'm going to try to find another one to mod.

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doing a bit of research on parts -

The two AV bits that I haven't been able to find reproductions of are 1117 790 9907 and 1117 790 9913. Found some NOS on eBay.

You can find one crank oil seal NOS -- flywheel side 9640 003 1570. Can't find NOS clutch side -- 9640 003 3990. However, you can find an aftermarket set from Custom Chainsaw Parts on eBay.

Case half gasket is 1117 029 0501. Mine looks iffy so I found one on eBay.

Rubber intake boot is 1117 141 2200 - NOS are expensive at $30 each. I'll pass.

The full wrap handle is 1117 648 0402 -- can't find these. If you get one, you'll need the matching sprocket cover -- 1117 648 0402 (can't find these either) -- and this bracket -- 1115 791 4400 (some NOS ones on eBay now) and this clamping strip -- 1117 791 0500.

Need to figure out the sprocket covers, too. Looks like I need 1117 648 0400, which is what the saw had, but it was cracked. Somehow I ended up with one that doesn't have mounting provisions for a dog.

Switch shaft is 1117 182 0900 - no luck finding a spare one of these.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
7:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You don't necessarily need another sprocket cover. Most have a line cast into them on the inside that represents material to remove in the event that the saw is switched over to the full-wrap handle. The western kits did not include an extra sprocket/clutch cover but did include instructions for a technician to modify the cover. As far as the intake boot goes- those almost never go bad, so I would doubt you need an extra. If you can find the switch shaft though I highly recommend getting a spare.

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You don't necessarily need another sprocket cover. Most have a line cast into them on the inside that represents material to remove in the event that the saw is switched over to the full-wrap handle. The western kits did not include an extra sprocket/clutch cover but did include instructions for a technician to modify the cover. As far as the intake boot goes- those almost never go bad, so I would doubt you need an extra. If you can find the switch shaft though I highly recommend getting a spare.

Good info, Jacob. Thanks

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To tell the truth I never made a comparison in clutch covers .Another thing I'll have to check in the shed.

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On older saws like this that I only own as a collectors piece, I prefer to keep them 100% original. I don't see the point in hopping them up. Just my opinion.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I didn't change the coil for a hop up. My saws had three different ignition systems. One ran but had the lag no rpm. When the 029 went on I had to back it up twice. First time it had a hard start, popping and got hot quick. I knew it was close. Third time was the charm.

Used parts were too much and no refunds.
No thanks!

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got it all back together, but don't have any fuel handy, so didn't start it.

Didn't end up advancing the timing. And didn't mod the muffler, either. I plan to pick up a used muffler from eBay and mod it. I won't gut the nice OEM one that's on it now.

Compression ended up at 170; was expecting a bit more after the gasket delete, but 170 is still good. I think I ended up at 192 or something like that on my 045 with gasket delete so I was thinking it would be closer to that.

Found an NOS recoil/starter on eBay; couldn't pass it up. Also scored a nice NOS cover for the brake bits and oil pump. And I also grabbed another sprocket cover that has provisions for mounting outer dogs.

Still searching for a full wrap; haven't had any luck finding one yet. If any of y'all with a saw that has one, I'd be interested in buying your saw or sending you my half-wrap and some $$$ for your full wrap.

Thanks

Scott

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As general info the IPL of this saw shows basically 3 ignitions .The self advancing SEM ,solid state trigger Bosch and also a set of points evidently using the Bosch coil .Two different flywheels depending on the system .Plus associated with the SEM system an under flywheel generator coil possibly for heated handles .My two have both Bosch and SEM types .One had the mounting holes for points but the crankshaft was not cammed for points .
Thinking out loud I can't help but wonder if because of the time period they used this model as an experimental platform for improvements going from the standard horizontal cylinder design of the time to vertical .Just my thoughts .I can't think in German because basically by linage I'm only about 1/2 German .Not fast but half fast at times so to speak .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To further elaborate or ramble on in my opinion you'd be better off modifiying something like an 038 mag as an 048 .For one there only about 4.5 cc difference.Two parts are galore for the mag,380-381 as opposed to rare for the 048 .I suppose it could be done but to what end results?A bigger jug,maybe but then you could throw the primary balance off .That thing could rattle itself right out of it's anti vibe mounts .Not good .

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bumping an OLD thread for an update. We're back in the states now and I'm going through the saws one at a time. I ended up sourcing a full wrap for this saw; wasn't easy to find. Trimmed clutch cover for clearance.

Running good now, but I need to fine tune tomorrow and check with the tach.

IMG_4359.jpg

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
9:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s a nice 048 kinda want to get one of mine going now guy came by awhile back and dropped an 042 so I’d you need or want a spare switch lever I’ll send you one. From what I’ve been reading the cylinder with better timing and bigger carb was the 048 super.