Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fellas -

Picked this one up fairly cheap (eBay UK, if I recall correctly) about a year ago. It's been patiently waiting for a rebuild/refresh, so got started on it yesterday.

For those not familiar, the 048 is a 77 cc pro saw that was introduced in 1980 and only produced for about 5 to 7 years, so there's not a lot of them out there. She's a heavy girl at 16.8 lbs, but said to be quite powerful and reliable. Some folks say they were produced mainly for the military but were used commercially as well. The construction is similar to the 028/038 saws.

Anyway, this one was used and abused -- the front AV was almost gone, so the saw was real loosey goosey. Lots of incorrect fasteners. Piston is scored.

Plan is to go through it, hop it up a little bit (muffler mod, timing bump, base gasket delete), clean it up some, go through the recoil assembly, new fuel/oil/impulse lines, carb rebuild, new AV, and then tune it and put it to use. The case was only secured with 4 slot screws, so most folks recommend swapping these with torx.

Parts aren't easy to find, but I've had decent luck so far. Would love to find a full wrap, but haven't managed to scrounge one yet.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Scott

2017-04-30 16.29.30.jpg 2017-04-30 16.34.01.jpg 2017-04-30 16.34.12.jpg

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
4:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It should be easy enough to find the full-wrap handle. Stihl offered a "western" kit for those saws which was available separately and they pop-up on Ebay from time to time ( it has the full-wrap handle, dual dawgs, and an alternate handle mounting bracket).

The one part that is very difficult to find is the switch shaft. They have a habit of breaking and they've been NLA for 25 years. So don't break your switch shaft.

A local long-time Stihl mechanic used to hop these saws up for logging companies and even made a competition saw with a two-piece head which was cool. It ran a Tillotson HS carb.

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It should be easy enough to find the full-wrap handle. Stihl offered a "western" kit for those saws which was available separately and they pop-up on Ebay from time to time ( it has the full-wrap handle, dual dawgs, and an alternate handle mounting bracket).

The one part that is very difficult to find is the switch shaft. They have a habit of breaking and they've been NLA for 25 years. So don't break your switch shaft.

A local long-time Stihl mechanic used to hop these saws up for logging companies and even made a competition saw with a two-piece head which was cool. It ran a Tillotson HS carb.

That's good to hear on the full wrap.

Thanks for the heads up on the switch shaft. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a backup.

Scott

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI - for those who have an 042/048, fuel and oil lines are available from Saegenspezi.de. Ignition assemblies are available online as well, along with some of the AV bits.

Otherwise, eBay has been pretty good to me, but I did find a very nice muffler on the Stihl Facebook forum. Got a nicer clutch cover off eBay, too, along with a better air filter cover and a bunch of miscellaneous fasteners. Robbed an oil pump from my 038 Magnum; it's in pieces, so I won't be needing it anytime soon. Would like to find a gasket kit in case I end up splitting the case, along with some crank seals.

So, it appears the piston was scored because the jug was loose on the case - was missing a bolt in the front and the other on the front was loose. You could see in the crankcase that some gunk had gotten inside. There's some transfer in the jug, too; will work on cleaning that up tomorrow.

Did have some good news -- someone swapped out the slotted screws that hold the case halves together; it has hex heads now. Glad I checked them; a few were starting to get loose.

Got the carb rebuilt today; fuel tank assembly is about ready to go. Throttle lever and lockout lever are worn, so lockout doesn't really work, but it's good enough for now.

And here's what my bench looked like when I called it a night -

IMG_8063.JPG

Still left to do -

Figure out what I'm going to do with the muffler (gutted or not).

Trim a bit from flywheel key to advance the timing.

Remove transfer from cylinder.

Reassemble jug and piston.

Source a full wrap handle, some of the AV that I haven't been able to find, a spare switch shaft, another sprocket cover, throttle lever and lockout lever, and a few more things.

Scott

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, here's the muffler that I sourced; different than the cracked one that it had when I got it. I think this is the one that someone called the pressure can muffler, and it sure looks like the exhaust has to take a convoluted route to escape. I'm inclined to gut it and add another port. Curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Scott

IMG_8065.JPG IMG_8066.JPG

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Mine got a 290 coil and timing adjustment. It was my first pro saw. Hauls ass with light mods pulling 91dl 50 chain. I have a new carb in the box but it ain't for sale and I managed to find one pro drum to. It's good to still have her. She needs some love. Maybe a BB jug for the second case I have. Also found an NOS rear handle.

Build that old beast up and run it hard!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The piston rings are 038 Magnum .The clutch side seal is next to impossible to find .Not all of them had slotted head screws only the early ones .Torx head type are a good replacement I've seen the av mounts on flea bay .The oil pump is 028,038,042 and 048 .( I have all 4 ) As far as I know most parts excluding the piston and cylinder from an 042 will interchange . What I don't know is if an 038 Mag piston being 52 MM will interchange . If it would work the cylinders are pretty tough .
The origin of this model is a mystery and why it was discontinued likewise .Some say it was because of case leaks because of the slotted screws . Of the two 048's and one running 042 plus one parts saw 042 only one had slotted screws of the ones I own .--and it didn't leak .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of them had a Fairbanks-Morse type starter recoil assembly and some of them used the standard pawl type used on most saws .Stihl had enough brains to use a nylon insert instead of aluminum like the older saw models,it didn't slip .

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Some of them had a Fairbanks-Morse type starter recoil assembly and some of them used the standard pawl type used on most saws .Stihl had enough brains to use a nylon insert instead of aluminum like the older saw models,it didn't slip .
I saw one of them once. Smooth hub.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
6:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I saw meteor piston kits for the 048 also, I have 4 total couple are scored but other ones will run pretty sure, actually one does run till you put a bar and chain on it and it make the seal leak because bearing is loose on pro side.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think I saw meteor piston kits for the 048 also, I have 4 total couple are scored but other ones will run pretty sure, actually one does run till you put a bar and chain on it and it make the seal leak because bearing is loose on pro side.
Lol funny *s-word.

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine got a 290 coil and timing adjustment. It was my first pro saw. Hauls ass with light mods pulling 91dl 50 chain. I have a new carb in the box but it ain't for sale and I managed to find one pro drum to. It's good to still have her. She needs some love. Maybe a BB jug for the second case I have. Also found an NOS rear handle.

Build that old beast up and run it hard!

What is this "BB jug" that you speak of?