Stihl 044 not oiling and 2nd Stihl saw

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
8:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He is original owner. He thought it wasn't oiling. Just bar loaded with dirt oiling fine. He must have been pushing like crazy because it would not cut at all. After major work to the chain it cuts now but not to my standard yet. Needs a bit more once it will easily cut cookies I'll return it and then they need schooling in chain maint. I don't think they get it that it should self feed.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. Thanks for the update Eric. Maybe he was the one trying to sell it on CL?

Might be easier and quicker to just slap a new chain on there.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. Thanks for the update Eric. Maybe he was the one trying to sell it on CL?

Might be easier and quicker to just slap a new chain on there.

I asked my brother and he says no, but he hasn't talked to him. He is a buddy from work.
We'll find out because my brother will explain to them how horrid the chain was and that oiler is fine -- and make sure they understand it should self feed when sharpened right etc. Hopefully he'll ask about CL.

They should definitely put a new chain on, but I was just being OCD about beating that chain back to what it should be... testing my filing skills... sort of showing them that it can cut right, they just need to stop cutting concrete with it or whatever the hell they were doing! Curled over teeth takes safety chain to a whole new level ;)

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I submitted the serial number as a "technical question" on the stihlusa.com website contact us form and w/in 2 hours they got back to me that the saw was made in Germany in 1992. Guess they weren't assembling 'em in Virginia Beach back then.

I thought that was pretty good -- I was pretty skeptical to get any kind of answer let alone that quickly.
Great shape for a 1/4 century old saw.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the answer is in -- saw never listed on CL. What a coincidence eh? There must a lot of 044's out there.

So I had to get rid of almost all of the teeth on one side to get to a squared off 90 chisel edge w/ point instead of the "toed in" curled eagle toe hideous thing that was going on.

So naturally it wants to take a major left when cutting LOL and then the bar pinch is the enemy.

I'm happy I got the chain to throw chips though -- gonna put it in the junk pile though I've had my fun and it's EOL now anyway.

The owner wants to go for the DP muffler and going to put a new bar and chain on it. Will stick with 0.050 so the old bar can be a backup bar.

Now I really want to try this thing on the dyno as is, change the muffler, tune, and try again.
Hopefully we'll be back to some kind of working dyno by the time the muffler gets here (coming from China! Huztl on ebay). Bill has the motorcycle brake dyno back together complete, so I may have to grab it so I can play with that one while he finishes up the hydraulic one.

Here's a couple of videos -- turns about 13200 WOT a bit rich but safe and plenty to run 20" bar.

I don't want to return the saw... at least I get to keep it til the muffler arrives which will take a while. Owner not in a rush either.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Eric, real nice looking saw there, my 044#1 is SN 126****** and I purchased it new in 12/1992, so very similar.

You should pull the top cover and see if it is a KS jug!

Also, I think you will want to update that air filter along with the dp muff cover. That made a bigger difference on my saw than the dp (those old muffs had a large hole outlet, and my original filter was a triple layer thing). Those 2 changes alone will make you think you are cutting with a light weight 460!

I gotta check your pics again, is it a red lever saw? (mine is).

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI, my KS jug is marked 115/21 +++, and is a B cylinder. The piston is an A/B, and has the wings on it.

Get a new RS chain for it, you will not be disappointed.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a new bar and chain for this saw tonight and starter pawls broke (they were already hurting as it was making a noise when the saw is stopped -- came that way from the owner).
So I couldn't try the new cutting setup because the pawl pieces were clanking around under there they finally broke completely upon the saw starting -- so I couldn't run it.

Just need the 1128 195 0400 plastic spool w/ pawls and will be set, flywheel is fine. Going to change starter rope too -- you can tell they've had it "involved" with the gap between air filter and top cover and it's going to fail at some point being frayed.

Took off top cover to check out cylinder and it's a KS -- the logo is right on there. I took a picture.
Huztl muffler shipped from China.

I have a Stihl dealer right near work -- would they possibly stock that spool? If not it's readily available everywhere it seems.

As you can see -- saw is clean and looks new under top cover (to me anyway!)

IMG_20160713_201010800.jpg IMG_20160713_201018887.jpg IMG_20160713_201034592.jpg

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's nice to see you start digging into some saws Eric!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah this stuff is no problem. Clutch rebuild and oiler changes on 262 was no problem. Pretty comfortable tuning. Once it gets into heating cases to get bearings seated right and seals right to avoid air leaks I would like the first attempts on those to be a saw I don't care about.

I was so bummed I couldn't run this 044 tonight. It was running but I didn't dare cut anything with pawl parts clanking around under the starter :(

Parts are on the way. Will cut some more discs for the wood burning folks with it.
Will get the 372 out and do some comparisons.

Last edited:

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would've liked it better if he popped his cherry on one with 1/4" of baked on grime like all the ones I've been into. I invested in a parts washer before a t27

This was like taking one off the shelf at the dealer and digging in. This saw might as well be a shelf queen.
I've cleaned my share of crud -- cutting tons of pine w/ tons of pitch stuff is like welded on there... sticky and cruded up handle bar / lower handle after moving rounds by hand... yum.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This was like taking one off the shelf at the dealer and digging in. This saw might as well be a shelf queen.
I've cleaned my share of crud -- cutting tons of pine w/ tons of pitch stuff is like welded on there... sticky and cruded up handle bar / lower handle after moving rounds by hand... yum.
She's a beauty, Clark

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even a "B" cylinder, it is like looking in a mirror! For some reason, the top of the jugs stay remarkably like new.