Stihl 044 not oiling and 2nd Stihl saw

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
10:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So a buddy of my brother has a couple of Stihl saws he inherited that don't get used much etc. I don't know the exact story behind them. He asked my brother if he could take a look and my brother asked if I could take a look :)

One is an 044 (which the owner swears is a "D44"... quite sure 044!) and the other I don't know yet but will find out tomorrow.

The 044 runs and doesn't oil and the other one I don't think runs and has a wire hanging off of it from somewhere (maybe it's just stop switch)... who knows how abused these were you know the drill.

Will start with the 044 -- It could be as simple as a plugged oiler hole in the bar or plugged tank hose or whatever.

Figured this is a good opportunity to get more wrenching on saws. I absolutely enjoy running saws, getting chains as sharp as possible, tree work, firewood etc. but I want to get better at working on saws. Those of you who know me know that my day job is software engineering and I can put together things like sensors and electronics / software for the saw dyno. -- but I want to get better with working on saws.

Hoping you guys can help me out once I get ahold of the saws. I had no problem rebuilding the clutch on my 262 (which the drum basically shattered) which involved oiler removal to reverse a backwards spiral washer and re-install it which was a successful repair (new drum, needle bearing, etc). Al helped me out by sending a ground spanner type socket to deal with clutch removal. I'm hoping over time I can build up an array of tools (specialty ones) etc.

I'm going to watch Craigs list for a dirt cheap saw that I can use as a project (or grab something from for sale here) and over the winter will go for complete rebuild to learn even more. Not worried about porting but interested in muffler mods to start.

If I get stuck w/ these Bill and Dan are near by.

We will see what shows up tomorrow.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Eric, start with the easiest stuff, plugged bar hole is most likely, run w/o the bar and see if oil dribbles out, if not pull the clutch drum and make sure the oil driver in in tact. Also, check the oil tank for gunk in there and clean out if necessary.

After that, check for mechanical problems. Once you unbolt the oil pump, it comes out at about 45 degrees (the tube has an O ring on it).

Just put a dp muff cover on the muffler and richen the tune a bit (and I like the HD-2 filters if it does not have one). Advancing the timing 20/1000 and deleting the base gasket will also help. results in a nice light weight saw that will easily out run a stock 460.

The Huztl mufflers are light, cheap and well ported if you don't worry about screens. That is what is on my MS440. You don't have to modify them at all.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Mike. I'll get into it this weekend and see what's up. Will probably pull the muffler to see what the piston and such looks like. Screens I don't worry about -- fire risk around here a lot less than say CA, so Huztl muffler would be cool to try provided owner is OK with spending a few bucks.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
12:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I flush the oil tank with mix every now and then, then run it with mix in the tank to see if it comes through, they get gunked up sometimes and you never know what's got into the tank before, there's sometimes a shedload of saw dust in there

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahhh. So it was you or your brother that bought that 044 that did not oil from craigslist. LOL
I was looking at that, but the guy never responded to any of my emails.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On ebay, the muffs are $15 w/shipping.

I was just about to reply -- saw them on there for $15 including shipping.
Ahhh. So it was you or your brother that bought that 044 that did not oil from craigslist. LOL
I was looking at that, but the guy never responded to any of my emails.

You guys are funny! LOL.

Pretty sure the owner Matt said these were in his truck for a long time not used much and they were a relative of his that he inherited. I don't think they were on craigslist... but ya never know. Maybe he thought he could sell 'em and buy a saw that oils with the funds... ;)

When these are done maybe I'll have another mini GTG at my place -- @RIChevy you are close we can have a little more notice to get a few more attendees. I've still got some logs left over from the last one... also if a new rendition of the dyno is online I would like to run the 044 as is and then fit it up with the DP muffler Mike mentioned, retune, and run on the dyno again (with tuning done off dyno). Maybe I could lure Mike out from NY as I would think this testing would peak his interest! Since the 044 matches up w/ 372 I'm especially interested also to see how it does next to my stock X-torq 372 once it's running decent.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. I'm in. I can run my 440 too.

Last week there was a saw on craigslist MS440, doesn't oil from MA. I emailed him 2 or 3 times and he never responded. On after it sold, he replied. Weird coincidence.