bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, so I'm confused. I'm going through my third 038 Magnum and every single one of these came to me with a clutch cover that has the hole for a side tensioner. I just figured it was a replacement clutch cover, even though these saws were homeowner owned, not dicked with, original condition, etc, so I sourced clutch covers on eBay that didn't have the hole for the tensioner.

But now I'm looking at the IPL, and it appears that Stihl did use the clutch cover with the side tensioner hole on the 038's. I'm guessing that's because the 028's take the same clutch cover and the later saws use a side tensioner. That would be one less style of clutch cover that Stihl had to replace, and I really can't see much of an issue with having a superfluous hole in the clutch cover.

Am I on the right track here?

Pic is my first 038 Mag, before and after pics. You can see the different style of clutch cover that I'm talking about.

DSCN0916.JPG IMG_7540.jpg

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
3:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, so I'm confused. I'm going through my third 038 Magnum and every single one of these came to me with a clutch cover that has the hole for a side tensioner. I just figured it was a replacement clutch cover, even though these saws were homeowner owned, not dicked with, original condition, etc, so I sourced clutch covers on eBay that didn't have the hole for the tensioner.

But now I'm looking at the IPL, and it appears that Stihl did use the clutch cover with the side tensioner hole on the 038's. I'm guessing that's because the 028's take the same clutch cover and the later saws use a side tensioner. That would be one less style of clutch cover that Stihl had to replace, and I really can't see much of an issue with having a superfluous hole in the clutch cover.

Pic is my first 038 Mag, before and after pics. You can see the different style of clutch cover that I'm talking about.

View attachment 327991 View attachment 327992
Nice

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
2:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the mag is the later model so they just use what the 026 and 034 use.
But the smaller bore 038s come with ones with no hole.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 327991 View attachment 327992
Good looking 038. Like the full wrap

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. Took a lot of scrounging to source all the parts needed. NOS full wrap was not easy to find.
No I bet it wasnt. Took me quite a whike to find a used full wrap for mine and i over paid when i did just to make sure i got it. But to me worth every penny.

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No I bet it wasnt. Took me quite a whike to find a used full wrap for mine and i over paid when i did just to make sure i got it. But to me worth every penny.

I've just about given up on finding 038 full wraps for the saws that I'm working on now. I'm going to tweak some 044 3/4 wraps to fit.