Stihl 036 WOES

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the saw have a Zama carburetor? I've had two that the carb body was leaking. Put 10 lbs or so of pressure on the fuel inlet and dunk the carb in a container of clear fluid. Let me know if it's leaking on the pump side.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@dall 360 had the exact same issue. For me it was the carb. I would tune it, no issue. Goose it for over 3 seconds and it would start to scream. Lather/rinse/repeat-same thing again. Broken metering spring.

You already tried another carb and rebuilt the one on it. And I know you know your carbs.

Was the new fuel line OEM?

I can't see any port issues that could be doing this.

I'd replace the fuel line, impulse line, filter and carb again. I'd also try running it with the tank vent fully removed for a cut.

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes the carb is a Zamss (C3A) and I've had every thing off of it to ultrasonic it. I did replace the needle arm and did find a gasket that would not seal from a new kit and replaces that until it would hold pressure and not leak. If there are issues I tank the carb under pressure to check for leaks and where.

Dry, that sounds like my issue. Yes fuel line, filter are oem and I have pulled the vent to open it up and ran it....there was no change. My gut says it's the carb (I feel a throttle shaft) but it still does it with a new carb.

I have been thinking of something that's seemed out of caricature for this saw being in good condition......it had a broken find. I'm thinking possibly a crack at the impulse connection on the bulkhead it attaches to........or I have been thinking of a leaky paper cylinder gasket. That's why I will probably pull the cylinder so I can rule out the gasket and will be able to check the impulse line connection better.

Won't be today as I have a 14hr day ahead of me. Keep the

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
6:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeh, interesting thread, I’ve got a castor cp510 ( manufactured 1982) to look at, holds a nice tune when cold then when warm/hot the rpm climb and keep climbing up at wot.

I got a start somewhere, so this thread is very helpful

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Poulan 8500 that did that.

It would run well for about two cuts and then take off.
I finally pushed the main nozzle check valve out of the carb and put it through the USC with Sea Foam.

Works great now.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
6:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I may have found the reason why it played up at times.:rolleyes:

I guess... it went lean at times because of either or both. The dollop of red stuff on that came lose and stopped the diaphragm opening the needle valve, and the dollop covered the jet.

the pic is how I found it after pulling the diaphragm back

I had it apart and took a few pics put it back together and ran it some. I ran out of time so I will run it some more in the next few days, and see how it goes.
8FC364B8-F8E9-4260-A8AB-DA0E05A88EA0.jpeg 4F986ABC-6E59-496A-B41A-CD95C06B8D4C.jpeg