Stihl 034 Questions???

Stihlsmoking

City Hillbilly
Local time
11:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was able to get mine off without taking the studs out but it was a huge pain in the a$$

On that one I think someone put it on then put the studs in ? I only needed brake parts from it and had to go through all that ?

Stihlsmoking

City Hillbilly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This one turned out very well for me, upgraded to an 036. It has the side tension adjuster.

I added the outside bumper spikes after evening it up with the inside spikes. With a new top end, it ran like the day it was sold.

Was that case painted/powdered ? Looks nice either way.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mike,

It will run just as good with a front vs side chain tensioner. A bit of a PITA, but not enough to change saws IMHO.

I should have some of those snap on plates here.

Your call Mike. Think I have an extra 036 case here also.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My old 034av has the side adjuster

Vise grips in a vice works as good as anything I've found for recoil springs.

I tried that, but not totally successful. If you don't start by putting that end of the spring in the recoil plastic, the tension of the spring makes it impossible to get it in there, it just keeps bending out of shape.

Ended up putting that metal cup in the plastic recoil plastic, start the outside end of the spring in the plastic, then just keep winding it into the metal cup. In the end, I had vice grips (loosely) on the plastic center piece, get it inserted in the spring (center) and turn it a bit more. Worked kinda well, wish I though of doing it that way to begin with!

With the rust cleaned off of it, and oiled & greased, it is so much smoother. Plus the rope was frayed and had to be changed any way (not that you need to take it apart to do that).

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know about those snap on plates. Ran the saw that had one yesterday and while it olied the bar, it was totally messy. I think that while some gets into the groove the rest goes everywhere inside of the clutch cover. I know that my pump and lines are good.

I think the bar is able to fit more tightly to the old style plate or none at all. I'll take it off the next time and see how it works.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The snap on plate works fine on the 36 Christmas saw. No oil drips, make sure your plate is snapped all the way on.
It takes a small hammer and blunt chisel to get it all the way on. In my case anyway

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The side adjuster would be nice since I always nick my knuckle adjusting the chain. I bought a longer screw driver and that helps.

Mine is a newer one
My 034 which I made a 036 out of has the #24 plate plus the side adjuster. By the way, your drawing has two #24 items, assume you meant the bar plate rather than the spike bar.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
By the way, your drawing has two #24 items, assume you meant the bar plate rather than the spike bar.

I copied the drawing from ebay, but did not notice the 2nd 24, but you are correct, I did mean the bar plate, my 034 does not have one.

Also, are all the chain covers plastic on them, or did they just dumb some of them down?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now that I look at it there are also 2 27s and 2 28s also! They must have had 2 people working on it, and a poor editor!