Stihl 034 AV

Sawyer94

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I won't be using muriatic acid again anytime soon. I attempted to remove the remaining hard to get spots and it resulted in a big crack below the intake port. Not sure if this was my doing or if maybe the jug was doomed to begin with. All I know is it wasn't that way before I put the acid inside so I'm assuming it was my fault. Anyways, looks like I'll definitely be replacing the cylinder after all.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I won't be using muriatic acid again anytime soon. I attempted to remove the remaining hard to get spots and it resulted in a big crack below the intake port. Not sure if this was my doing or if maybe the jug was doomed to begin with. All I know is it wasn't that way before I put the acid inside so I'm assuming it was my fault. Anyways, looks like I'll definitely be replacing the cylinder after all.
Like a crack in the plating or all the way through the wall?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your cylinder.

Some people know how to use the acid successfully, and I have watched them do it, but I just sand, it is safer.

Sawyer94

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your cylinder.

Some people know how to use the acid successfully, and I have watched them do it, but I just sand, it is safer.
Thanks,

And yeah it was definitely a learning experience. I know I won't be doing that again anytime soon. I'm wondering if maybe I used to strong of an acid? But the cylinder was fine before the acid, it would have ran no problem, not anymore.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s a bummer! I use acid on some cylinders, I build a dam with grease to keep the acid out of places I don’t want it! It works well but you have to stay on top of it!

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks,

And yeah it was definitely a learning experience. I know I won't be doing that again anytime soon. I'm wondering if maybe I used to strong of an acid? But the cylinder was fine before the acid, it would have ran no problem, not anymore.
I’ve never heard of acid cracking plating. Crack was likely there before and had,some polished transfer in it.