Stihl 024 worth?

calebng15

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Local guy has a Stihl 024av. Not the super. Needs a fuel tank, current one is cracked. All OEM, said it runs and cuts good. I guess it holds gas, just has a broken handle. What do you think of this model? What do y'all think it is worth?

calebng15

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the feller is asking $50. I kind of have a fill for the price, but what do y'all think of them as far as running?

shawn022

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They're great small saws. If you check it out, pay attention to the chain adjuster if it's a front adjust case. If you don't engage the adjusting pin with the bar and tighten the cover you will push the pin into the case, possibly cracking it and causing it to leak bar oil. I've seen this on several of the 024s but not on other saws for some reason.

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are nice little saws, most parts interchange with 026s. The cylinder can't be upgraded to an 026 though, different stroke. Also, 024 air filters are hard to find and expensive. They don't get a lot of love because they are essentially the same saw as an 026 with less power. I've sold a couple nice examples for $175-185. If it runs and the only real issue is a cracked tank, I'd be all over it for $50.

cobey

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had several don't get too aggressive with muffler mods or it won't idle well
Also kinda odd to port, some you can put the 026 jug on but some you cant. If you put crank rod and piston in I think it works, biggest thing is you can't get cylinders easy. It's good to change all the rubber, and crank seals to avoid leaning it out and toasting the cylinder.
I just lean towards just finding a good 026

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stock they are a turd. if you are going to port it they can be nice. Get a husky 350, muffler mod it and it will smoke a ms260.
Just saying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Im very fond of the little 024 av and have 1 of my own at the moment plus have bought and sold a few. The sort of mufflers ( UK ) on the ones iv bought are more or less empty of gubbins and don't have spark guarding. The louvers can be increased in size with a wide bladed screwdriver so easily for a bit more flow and a standard look .
Personally iv always been impressed with the hang on power of the saw for its cc and rated power of 2.9 hp. I rate them highly as a saw for limb work and general firewood jobs as there small and lite on a 15 in bar with .325 full chisel chain which i feel there best on for balance and power.
What are they worth ??? whatever your prepared to pay I guess , but if that one has OEM parts ,runs well then the tank is a easy thing to sort and will give you the chance to look at the intake rubber,impulse ,fuel line and AV mounts at the same time of swaping to a second hand one .

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So Dan, you were not impressed with Dr Al's saws??? Just sayin!

Al's saws are fantastic! But they are ported. What I was trying to say was if it's staying stock, IMHO, the 024/026 series are turds. Just a muffler mod on a 350 really wakes them up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 350 will of course have more power being a more modern 50cc saw as apposed to the 42cc's of 024. However to me at least, the 024 feels much better made in the cut, which being a pro made saw, it is. My old stock 024 was noticably stronger and seemed to rpm more when cutting side by side with a muffler modded 025. Both ran 16" sharp .325 chisel chains.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 024 I have came from the dead pile of a dealer.Totally complete with bar and a plastic scabard,50 bucks .It had a little burn on the exhaust side of the piston,not bad .All I did was gut the muffler and rebuild the carb.

It isn't an oak slayer by any means but it's a handy light weight .

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are good saws. I have one. I use it often. It is a nice lightweight saw for limbing and laying down the small stuff. I have lent it out a few times and it always comes back with a bunch of compliments.