Steel Sleeve on Chain Catcher Roller?

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey, all,

I've had chains come off my 361 and they chewed up the metal hook chain catcher somewhat.

Was looking at my 660 which has the plastic roller chain catcher, and thought "I'll put a piece of steel tubing over that plastic roller, so that if a chain comes off, it won't tear up the plastic roller."

IMG_2825.jpg

Is there any reason I should NOT do this? (Like, will I defeat the effectiveness of the plastic chain catcher getting torn up and thereby slowing down the chain?)

Thanks,

Jeff

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good point -- I didn't think about the chain getting torn up. Figured the chain would be a lot harder than mild steel.

Just did the same thing on my Dolmar top-handle saw b/c the chain catcher is plastic and is part of the molded plastic clutch cover, and I don't want to have to try to find another clutch cover if chain comes off (saw is discontinued, and I have a bunch of $5 chains for it anyway)...

Thanks for the replies.

ETA: I found a piece of scrap CPVC pipe in the shop that fit nicely over top of the existing plastic roller. So maybe I'll get two chain catches per roller instead of just one. :cunaooooo: Looks like new 1122 656 6600 rollers are about $9 or so on ebay. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
2:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My local stihl dealer price is $4.29
Adding bulk to your existing catcher will give all the teeth something to make contact with when the chain gets loose.

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Adding bulk to your existing catcher will give all the teeth something to make contact with when the chain gets loose.

Thanks for your reply, Jim. So are you saying that adding bulk to the chain catcher is not a good idea? Right now there's about 9/16"or 5/8" clearance between roller and chain.

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
4:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One has to wonder why a chain-catcher roller even exists. Most loggers I know unbolt that thing and throw it away. All it does is make it tougher for them to service and/or replace the chain, especially on a long bar.

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not sure I follow. When you remove the clutch cover on mine, the chain catcher roller assembly goes with it...? (I had to figure this out today when I tried to remove the nut on the CC axle and realized the other end of the axle was just a beveled pin that fit into a hole...)

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
4:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure I follow. When you remove the clutch cover on mine, the chain catcher roller assembly goes with it...?
Yes it does. It stays with the clutch cover. So when you replace the clutch cover, you have to "thread the needle" in addition to the bar studs. Lots of sawyers hate that.

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never had an issue with mine getting in the way. I like having all my appendages.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been at this stuff a long while and am 70 years old .I really don't remember in all those years since I was a teenager of throwing that many chains .However I've certainly found buried treasures on occasion and cleaned the cutters off ,bent the drivers and trashed the rims .

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One has to wonder why a chain-catcher roller even exists. Most loggers I know unbolt that thing and throw it away. All it does is make it tougher for them to service and/or replace the chain, especially on a long bar.
Saws that have that done to them or the owner was just too lazy/cheap to replace it, have a lot of chain rash or case/clutch cover damage. Thrown chains are no joke.

Last edited:

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chains on modern saws move really fast. It doesn't make sense to defeat the simple technology that can help prevent or reduce injury from a flying piece of sharpened metal. While it isn't common, I have had several instances of thrown chains and about three cases of broken chains. The chain catcher did its job in each case.