ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
7:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I saw something on a show called Mysteries of the Abandoned about a big tunnel system with small rail cars that were used for mail delivery in London. It was pretty cool. They could deliver letters in mere minutes to a couple hours depending on priority.
It was abandoned when the interwebz and email came about.

Well some good news on that underground railway it’s been reopened for tourists and they’ve gotta dedicated museum to the history of the mail service

I’ll post up some photos later of the narrow gauge rails 2ft and the carriage ps and tunnels

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
1:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well some good news on that underground railway it’s been reopened for tourists and they’ve gotta dedicated museum to the history of the mail service

I’ll post up some photos later of the narrow gauge rails 2ft and the carriage ps and tunnels

That would be cool. Thinking back, they may have mentioned in the program that a section of it had been opened for tours.
I take it you have seen it?

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That would be cool. Thinking back, they may have mentioned in the program that a section of it had been opened for tours.
I take it you have seen it?

No I haven’t seen it in person I’ve only read about it and seen it on TV
I ve been on most of the other undergrounds in London over the years

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little off shore stuff A4's in Britain 1930'2. One called 4468 Mallard still holds the steam loco speed record of just under 126 MPH

They were built to speed up rail travel in Britain. Nice looking units. Built in the mid to late 1930's

4464 Bittern on a run

All the focus is always on the Mallard 4468 which now looks to be fixed inside
And won’t get a boiler certificate

Now the Bittern 4464 has and will be flying along the rails again it has done more work Than the mallard and it’s going in for a engine overhaul late this year

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great vid! Thanks for posting it. You have to wonder how they so perfectly they balanced those coupling rods to match weight and movement of the suspension.
One of those flying loose would be a disaster at 90 MPH

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All the focus is always on the Mallard 4468 which now looks to be fixed inside
And won’t get a boiler certificate

Now the Bittern 4464 has and will be flying along the rails again it has done more work Than the mallard and it’s going in for a engine overhaul late this year

Did you watch the Ruth Goodman series Full Steam Ahead? That was a great series on the development of steam trains from the start in Britain. Great series.

When I was little, I had a poster on my bedroom wall on the history of Britain. My Grandmother looked at it one day and pointed to Richard Trevithick's locomotive and told me were related.

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you watch the Ruth Goodman series Full Steam Ahead? That was a great series on the development of steam trains from the start in Britain. Great series.

When I was little, I had a poster on my bedroom wall on the history of Britain. My Grandmother looked at it one day and pointed to Richard Trevithick's locomotive and told me were related.

That’s awesome he was was born an hour from me and he was a genius what he invented , in Cornwall there wasn’t any coal only tin mines so he invented those mine engines to work so efficiently with a shortage of coal in the area
And it all being shipped in was costly

I didn’t get too watch that series full steam ahead but hopefully it will come back on soon

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
End of an era this weekend the intercity 125’s last run been passing here for 43years 1000’s of people turned out from London right through to the south west to see them there being replaced by Japanese hitachi trains

I’ll be putting a few videos and info on these old engines including the earlier screaming valentia engines