Starter Rope Compression

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, I am sitting here trying to decide if I want to rering a good running 025.Has 130+psi compression.However it feels like it has much less.It seems to turn over especially easy when pulling the rope, but starts and runs great.So I had the recoil off and noticed the rope is just over the top of the spool. Hmm. So if this is the case could this further increase the leverage factor giving me the impression of low compression?

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Deets, Yes I unwrapped it a loop. Feels more like it should. Harder to pull but it feels like it has more compression. I will add that the ropes diameter is actually to wide for this application. This could be why the rope is over the top of the spool .

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
5:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, I am sitting here trying to decide if I want to rering a good running 025.Has 130+psi compression.However it feels like it has much less.It seems to turn over especially easy when pulling the rope, but starts and runs great.So I had the recoil off and noticed the rope is just over the top of the spool. Hmm. So if this is the case could this further increase the leverage factor giving me the impression of low compression?
You want a full spool of rope. Too short just makes it harder to start because of decreased leverage and the rope stops short when you try to get a full pull. Doesn’t affect compression readings on a gauge. I’d throw a set of caber rings (like 13 bucks) in it and see what happens.

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
HB, That is on the agenda.However what size piston do I have?Stihl dealer looked at the numbers and was unable to make a decision.It's an older 025 so I suspect that it is a 42MM.Piston view through the muffler and is near perfect.Anyway I will toss a set of Stihl rings at it.

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The thing of it is that I think that it could run better with a bit more compression.However like you mentioned "Why Fix It If It Isn't Broken".If the compression was below say 120 I would have a new set of rings in it like a shot.20190827_145914[1].jpg

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya can’t always trust compression testers either. Especially the cheaper harbor freight type ones. If it feels good and the piston is clean like you said, it’s probably good.

Last edited:

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The thing of it is that I think that it could run better with a bit more compression.However like you mentioned "Why Fix It If It Isn't Broken".If the compression was below say 120 I would have a new set of rings in it like a shot.View attachment 197314

What’s your elevation?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Two things .Static compression and dynamic compression are not one in the same .Often a hard pulling recoil could have the reel bushing worn badly which will cause the thing to run eccentric .
Regarding the later I've made brass bushing to repair the reels on some of the "newer" of old saws because the plastic ones failed or never had a bushing to begin with .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Read the above ,that rings true sometimes. Keep in mind a new set of rings won't often jack it up much until they wear in .Given enough time though they will .

Michael Rupley

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al I like to think about how many on this site (and others) knows the exact compression on their $400 saw. Yet how many know the compression on their $25,000 auto or pickup? They like to mess with the saw but will ignore a puddle of oil in the driveway, exhaust leak, bald tires, dash light screaming check engine, etc, etc. LOL Mike

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al I like to think about how many on this site (and others) knows the exact compression on their $400 saw. Yet how many know the compression on their $25,000 auto or pickup? They like to mess with the saw but will ignore a puddle of oil in the driveway, exhaust leak, bald tires, dash light screaming check engine, etc, etc. LOL Mike

So damn true. I know the leak down on the 300 in my truck but have no idea about my saws. I guess cause they run fine. :D

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not trying to sound like wise azz but you have to remember how the rings on a two cycle work .The expansion on ignition forces the rings out sealing them better .
An example on two of nearly the same model .I have a 2100 Husqvarna CD which is the thick ring version .It may have some soup because it is a west coaster but I really have no idea except it runs better than the average of that model .ECopsey had a thin ring 2100XP which I know was souped as it was a muffler class gas racer .That one you could pull over easy using the standard T type handle ,mine has a D-handle . He obviously could out run me over the cants .