Started Asian 440 BB #4 Today

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
3:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Different saw... but I noticed several kinds of cylinders on 372xt we run. Newest one has mahle and the older one has a husky branded cylinder, which I think might be gillardoni but not sure. Couldn’t tell much if any difference between them. Interesting that change in cylinder manufacturers... I wonder why?

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a call from my friend Harold's son Jesse today. Jesse recently purchased a house and needed a saw so he got one of the Asian 440 Big Bores I built and ported.

Jesse works for the NYS Highway Dept and runs various saws at work, but says none run like the one I built for him.

He was cutting some White Oak rounds with it, and he says he felt like he was in a cartoon, and every time he cut a round the saw looked up at him and said "Is that all ya got"!!!

I guess he likes it! Feels good to know the saw went to someone who appreciates it!

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For my education.

What exactly gets changed out when you swap a 440 to a 460 jug? I'm going to assume you keep the carb and everything around it from the 440? I'm intrigued by this and I might have to find one somewhere.

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
8:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think,,, it’s a hybrid, just mod the cylinder to fit and 440 shroud a bit of timing advance then boom. Your saw roars but looks like a 440.
It’s the smaller case compression that gives it the ooomph. There are a few threads around.
I will edit this when I find mattG's thread. Just cos and for no other reason, he did a fine build with help from other fine guys from here ;)

Edit: here ya go
http://opeforum.com/threads/044-project.7951/

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think,,, it’s a hybrid, just mod the cylinder to fit and 440 shroud a bit of timing advance then boom. Your saw roars but looks like a 440.
It’s the smaller case compression that gives it the ooomph. There are a few threads around.
I will edit this when I find mattG's thread. Just cos and for no other reason, he did a fine build with help from other fine guys from here ;)

Edit: here ya go
http://opeforum.com/threads/044-project.7951/
Awesome! And thank you. I'll take a close look at it. :)

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not so fast … that describes a Big Bore kit.

For the Hybrid (460 cylinder on a 440 case) -

1) You must enlarge the bolt holes toward the middle to get it to bolt up (460 bolt holes are wider spaced).
2) You need to thin the base of the cylinder to get it to fit in the case (a little filing to the sides does it).
3) You need some spacers between the lower muffler and case bolts (a few washers will work).
4) On the HLS jug, a slight mod to the fins for the top cover to fit (the bulge where the plug wire is contacts). OEM clyinders may need more work.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For these 440 kit saws (and Big Bores, etc), it is best to replace that upper left dampener with OEM, makes a big difference in reducing felt vibrations.

I also recently went back into my 440 BB #1 and improved the porting and advanced the timing more. (see pics/details) in "what's on your bench" thread.

Timing is now .030 off the key (was .020). Saw sounds good, but hopefully it will stop raining soon and I will put it in some wood!

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For these 440 kit saws (and Big Bores, etc), it is best to replace that upper left dampener with OEM, makes a big difference in reducing felt vibrations.

I also recently went back into my 440 BB #1 and improved the porting and advanced the timing more. (see pics/details) in "what's on your bench" thread.

Timing is now .030 off the key (was .020). Saw sounds good, but hopefully it will stop raining soon and I will put it in some wood!
Sounds great. Have a question about the flywheels are you running the farmertec one or did you change to the OEM Stihl??