CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
9:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As compression goes up (in a modified saw, for instance) I would lean towards a slightly smaller gap, as higher compression increases the voltage required to jump a specific gap. However, if the saw starts and runs fine under load with the plug gapped to factory spec, then the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies.

Anyone up to trying an MSD type ignition on their hotrod chainsaw? You could run it off an M12 battery for short periods of time.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always run the factory spec. and try to be precise. Is there anything to be gained by moving either way? Sorry kids for the lame question. Raining here and waiting for the JB Weld to set up...
High compression tighten gap, haven’t heard of many guys having issues loosing spark on high comp saw builds, maybe on alky. I run a pretty tight gap on alky banshee, I do it to be safe and it fires even when it’s really fat! The crazy thing on the dyno was how much power was lost with old plugs, and every time I put new plugs in I got max power! Fresh plugs vs the old plugs I can in with 10hp! And semi used plugs were right in the middle, made three back to back to back pulls, it was crazy! I should try plug gap on the dyno, nothing should be overlooked! lol

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That very interesting, losing hp with age of spark plug, I guess it’s the same, beit alky or petrol.?
I tested both on alky and gas, the results were the same, it was an eye opener to say the lest! I am not sure if it is caused by a week ignition, but I was making 108 on the best pull on gas and then put the plugs I came in with 98 and put the plugs I was tuning the motor on, made maybe a dozen pulls with, they made 103, then new plugs....108, all on the same tune. The other interesting thing at least with this motor, it made more power a little rich, Ileaned it up two main jet sizes and one needle clip position and it sounds mean, incredible response and lost 20hp! I was blown away!!

Last edited:

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much gap should you remove as you increase Compression? For example. If it's to be at .030. Should you go to .025?
I honestly don’t have any evidence to support the proper gap number, I run a .018 gap in my banshee and am able to make good power, I didn’t do an gap testing other than .018 and .020 and that made zero difference so I am sticking with .018 for now, maybe next time!

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just like a turbo engine the more boost the tighter the gap and the higher the compression then you better believe it you should tighten up plug gap less chances of miss fire. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:comp4::beer-toast1:
That's what my assumption was. I just didn't know if anybody knew how much.

I honestly don’t have any evidence to support the proper gap number, I run a .018 gap in my banshee and am able to make good power, I didn’t do an gap testing other than .018 and .020 and that made zero difference so I am sticking with .018 for now, maybe next time!

I'll check out that number and see what happens. Thank you.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
8:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20181226_230012280.jpg get some of this and a heat gun. You won't have to wait for anything to set up anymore. Been using the heck out of it as of lately.
Have no input on plug gap. I set to whatever is called for and it works for me.

Steven

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's what my assumption was. I just didn't know if anybody knew how much.

I'll check out that number and see what happens. Thank you.
In most of my Saw's I set my plug gap at 19 and never really had any problems plus people over look also is heat range of a plug to but that's a different game to.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The crazy thing on the dyno was how much power was lost with old plugs, and every time I put new plugs in I got max power!

That's an interesting result. I wonder if it had to do with a used plug having taken the edges off the center electrode and the side electrode being oxidized.

I used to 'refresh' my plugs by using a points file to file the center electrode flat again and then clean off the inside of the side strap electrode so that it had fresh metal - then re-gap.

Perhaps the used plugs had a bit more delay in the spark or maybe the extra resistance didn't give as hot a spark. Thanks for sharing that - I'm going to go file a plug...

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's an interesting result. I wonder if it had to do with a used plug having taken the edges off the center electrode and the side electrode being oxidized.

I used to 'refresh' my plugs by using a points file to file the center electrode flat again and then clean off the inside of the side strap electrode so that it had fresh metal - then re-gap.

Perhaps the used plugs had a bit more delay in the spark or maybe the extra resistance didn't give as hot a spark. Thanks for sharing that - I'm going to go file a plug...
I was thinking on many of the same lines! The plugs didn’t have much or any erosion, the second set that had maybe 12 pulls were clean, but had color, they were darker than tan but not crazy black. I think it is like you were saying, either slightly delaying spark or not getting a hot enough spark, I was surprised on how fast that occurred! The mildly used plug would equate to probably 30 minutes of run time max, not all wot, but I am still shocked. It kinda confirms the feeling you get when you put a new plug in your dirt bike and it felt faster! Lol