So what did you do today?

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I spent the morning finishing the piston install on my 3400 Poulan, never could get it to start since I put the muffler on it. Think I'll take the screen out of it and see if that helps. I put a used piston and rings in it and it doesn't seem to have great compression but it probably could stand a little break in time.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a very busy day! Rained in the morning, but a couple of clients called so I took care of their needs during the rain.

Then, made some vids of my Stock 066 (see Cross 066), tested my brother's MS 460 (I recently did a timing advance) in some real wood (a Red Oak Crotch) and then hauled some rounds out of the brush & split them (mostly Black Birch & Hickory). Still got lots of rounds to be split!

Attachments

• IMG_20170531_150608645 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20170531_150608645 (Large).jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20170531_150622375 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20170531_150622375 (Large).jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 13

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Made a hastily planned trip to Galveston, TX over the weekend, spent Tuesday looking at houses in Milton, FL and then drove home that night. This morning a guy stopped by with his 044 to have me check it out as it's running weird and then he sent me a customer to purchase an 044 I had available. This afternoon I started looking into the 044 and quickly discovered that it was actually an 046. Hmmm, he said he liked using that saw because it was lighter than his MS460. Not sure I should pop his bubble. He bought the saw at a pawn shop about 25 years ago and there's no badges on it...
So far the piston looks clean and I haven't had a chance to do anything else to it as I ran out of time.
I've got to do some big saw work as I'm getting low. I have a disassembled 044 that needs seals, a missing MS660 but still have a running 046 and MS660. Plus my 070. So I guess I'm still ok if I run into some big wood...

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pulled the carb off my kicker motor on the boat. It would only idle with choke on. The low side little copper lookin tube was plugged sollid with goo crap. Its all soaking in seafoam now. Will finish cleaning it tomorrow and put back togeather and hopfully fire up the motor this weekend.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dropped a few Sugar Maples today, this was the largest and I used my Dr Al ported 460 on it. Boy does that thing cut!

Also was happy the hinge was perfect as there was a shed & garden nearby. My MMWS 362 and Dr Al 026 also got good workouts on the limbs and other trees.

Got paid a little to take them down, and the wood is mine to sell, so I won't complain, but working alone is not always easy. Luckily, the wood can stay put for a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20170601_124644052_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170601_124644052_HDR.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20170601_124700703_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170601_124700703_HDR.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20170601_124722560_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170601_124722560_HDR.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 13

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got to make a bunch of little cookies for a church kid's program. They want about 90 of them. Guess I better get on that.
I'm pretty sure my neighbors think I'm nuts, and I'm pretty sure they're right. I burn them, not so much for heat but just to destroy the evidence...

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Barely started my dad's mower, worked well once it came to life - sure took a whole lot of energy out of me to get the thing going.
Half way through the planned work it died on me, turned out to be a loose spark plug cap.
Pushed the cap back down and gave the starter rope a pull with all my strength - engine backfired, ripped the starter handle out of my hands, wraps around the guide bar/handle and tears the rope in half! :mad:
Pulled out my phone and called my dad to come with some chains so we can pull/push the beast back home.

This thing must be started with both hand and while doing so the tire opposite to the pulling side usually gets airborne.
It is also basically unmovable for a single person if the engine ain't running.
It is a 300cc four stroker and quite old school.

DSC02256.JPG DSC02258.JPG

Rope was 5.0mm diameter, I wonder if the starter assembly would hold a larger diameter rope... o_O

My dad was amused, I was pissed off to say the least! :bash:
He knew about the loose spark plug cap, but didn't do anything about it.

EDIT:
For reference, the tires are 8x4.0"

DSC02253.JPG

Last edited:

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was beating on "the rock" with a sledge hammer again today and while I was panting after a series of blows, I suddenly had a light bulb illuminate. "Hey!, I've got a cut off saw with a diamond blade".
I've had this saw for years and never used it to speak of. Don't even remember what brand it is but it's orange and black. Maybe MultiQuip or something like that. Anyway, I'm going to dig that sucker out and see if I can get it running. Figure if I cut some grooves in this monster cement/stone chunk, I may be able to weaken it enough to slab some bigger pieces off it. Worth a try anyway. I apparently already broke all the easy stuff off of it and it's just laughing at me now. I've also also got to limb and chip a couple of trees I felled there a couple weeks ago. Spent most of the afternoon fighting with a ceiling fan. It's installed now but it was a bear.

chainsawjoe

I don't saw much, but when I do, LOOK OUT!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just got done sharpening my first chain with my free Chicago grinder. Will have RD35 inspect it at lunch tomorrow to see how I did. Used a chain off my free super XL, was an Oregon chisel chain. Previous owner had drags way low, maybe compensating for bad hand grind? Will get it on some wood this weekend!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks like a Gravely or Wheelhorse.

Sent from Hoskvarna Hills
It is a Lombardini LA300 4-stroke engine, the rest of it is a licensed copy of I don't know which manufacturer but made by "Gorenje" - that is if You were referring to my post!
Lombardini also made a 1 cylinder Diesel engine that was a direct swap (with a special fitting for the clutch) with the LA300, those are highly sought after and very expensive.

Was beating on "the rock" with a sledge hammer again today and while I was panting after a series of blows, I suddenly had a light bulb illuminate. "Hey!, I've got a cut off saw with a diamond blade".
I've had this saw for years and never used it to speak of. Don't even remember what brand it is but it's orange and black. Maybe MultiQuip or something like that. Anyway, I'm going to dig that sucker out and see if I can get it running. Figure if I cut some grooves in this monster cement/stone chunk, I may be able to weaken it enough to slab some bigger pieces off it. Worth a try anyway. I apparently already broke all the easy stuff off of it and it's just laughing at me now. I've also also got to limb and chip a couple of trees I felled there a couple weeks ago. Spent most of the afternoon fighting with a ceiling fan. It's installed now but it was a bear.
That should help weaken "the rock".
I love cutting concrete with my big angle grinder fitted with a diamond disk!
Just make sure You wear a mask and eye protection, might wanna consider putting on a overall.