Snow blower carb isue.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
5:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Workin on my snow blower i picked up. Its got a five h.p. tecumse motor. I got it running. Over half throttle seems to run fine but half to idle it just wants to die unless i put choke on a little.

I know it must have some sort of a blockage somewhere. Iv had carb off and cleaned. Never pulled any welch plugs and checked under. At about half throttle it starts to surge a bit.
Any suggestions what to check next on the carb?

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
c7e1d6c1584e6283ab95c738be9ffbf4.jpg

Just wonderimg what the top tubething is for that looks like a little ball thing in there. It was dirty in ther. Should it flow fuel past it?

e82f77bc7404e5cf919287499d894f01.jpg

Also the little welch plug by the low mixture screw. Whats in behond it. Should i take it off and clean?

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not till tomorrow. Too dark out now. No lights in the shed.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did some more cleaning and learned a little too. Thers a few small holes i didnt know what they did or that they wefe ther.
The three little holes by butterfly look like they may be part of the idle. Cleaned them. Also thers a hole going from the big tube part over to thelittle tub8e part. ( sorry not sure of the namw ) think thats part of the low side too. Will put back on tomorrow after work and see how it runs.

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Emulsion tube, I would get on eBay and get a new carb. Tecumseh carb can be hard to impossible to get running sometimes.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are s0me aftermarket carbs. Are they any good?

If i go oem i might as well pit a new motor on it for a few bucks more.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats if this one runs like crap again.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are s0me aftermarket carbs. Are they any good?

If i go oem i might as well pit a new motor on it for a few bucks more.

Not me, at least not an oem replacement.
If it's a two stage it would get a used Honda engine of CL. And if I couldn't get one that would fit I would put a honda clone motor on it.
Personally I would sell it like it is and buy something else, but I'd rather buy than repair most of the time. Starting with a quality product makes repairs less likely and more of a joy when necessary.
Did I say, I like hondas :).

Good luck getting it going and I hope it works now that you got the other ports cleaned.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thers a few small holes i didnt know what they did or that they wefe ther.
The three little holes by butterfly look like they may be part of the idle. Cleaned them. Also thers a hole going from the big tube part over to thelittle tub8e part. ( sorry not sure of the namw ) think thats part of the low side too. Will put back on tomorrow after work and see how it runs.

Those multi level idle bleed ports, as the butterfly opens at idle it increases the available fuel until the engine vacuum start pulling fuel through the main nozzle.
That large welch plug is removable for cleaning the area behind it as even though open the those ports they can just clog right back up if the crap in the chamber isn't removed. Of course you will a new welch plug. The area the crosses over from main nozzle tube can also clog up.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well i ran out of light again. Not enough time after work anymore. Might go out after and.set up a flood light and try it.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got it back on and tried it. It will idle now. It has a slight surge at idle but not enough to wory about. Think i will try it this winter and if all good in the spring might pull apart and clean again to see if any more crap comes out.
I would like to tear the whole blower apart and repain it and make it look new again.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You might want to try your favorite fuel additive/cleaner such as Sea Foam in your first tank of fuel, long shot, but sometimes it just enough to do the trick. ;)
Never even thought of that. Will dump some in when i fill it. Thanks for the tip.

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You know, I glanced at my own post and thought it said "old M-tronic stuff"! Been reading too much about saws!!!