High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Could i use this motor on my snow blower?

Citiyard

New OPE Member
Local time
8:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a low hour 5 h.p. tecumseh engine given to me. Came off a rototillar.
Could i use this motor on my snowblower?
Would i just have to take out the air filter so it dont ice up? What your thoughts?

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Would i just have to take out the air filter so it dont ice up? What your thoughts?

Some of the 5hp tecumseh snowblower engines have a second PTO shaft, driven from the end of the camshaft for driving the snowblower's self propulsion. If your blower utilizes a single pto shaft off the engine crank, and the shaft size and bolt pattern is the same, you would probably be fine to run without a filter as you said.

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
cartman.gif

😆

the air filter will not cause it to ice up; if it did every car prior to 1990 would have had that problem in winter time.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 406994

😆

the air filter will not cause it to ice up; if it did every car prior to 1990 would have had that problem in winter time.
what are you talking about? snowblowers are not cars, and basically every snowblower ever made does not have an air filter, so they dont ice up.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Generally speaking Tecumseh's are lower cost engines .On a snowblower unless to live in North Dakota doesn't see much action .A four cycle engine unlike a chainsaw engine doesn't move enough air to ice up or would be rather rare to do so .Just let them warm up a bit before you throw a load on them and unless you run it out of oil it might run forever .

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been running a Tecumseh from a water pump on a Toro snowblower for many years now without issue. It wears the air filter and does not have a heat box either. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have trouble. It has to be pretty darn cold to ice up a carburetor.

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I worked at a RV Resort in Breckenridge CO. We had a lot of 12'x60' concrete pads. Sears asked to useour site to do comparisons with snowblowers. I was biased/biased towards B&S and showing a negative attitude to the Tecumseh. Turned out one of the 20 some Gents their was the Tecumseh Representative. He told me one of the Tecumseh engine Strongest traits was cold weather starting. The B&S and Kohler Reps never argued, one member of the Sears Team commented that Kohler was pricey and B&S was pretty verbose about some marketing program. Any hows' We bought the TORO for about Half price and no one had to load it and haul it home. I never knew how any results of the day were but since then I TRY to keep my opinions more to MySELF. (I DID SAY TRY?!?!)

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of the toros back in the day had or still do use briggs engines. A lot of the single stage units were briggs made- to what or whose specs that I do not know. R-tec were Briggs mfg in the 2 stroke series. iceing of carbs - from sucking in fine snow laden air something that showed up on the two strokes a number of years back . simple fix was a deflector so the air path was convoluted.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Opinions of small engines are as varied as what is the best chainsaw and what kind of and what ratio of the mix oil to use ..Goes on forever .They all work or at least used to .On a snow blower or roto tiller unless they are abused they can run long after they puff blue smoke unless you run them out of oil .
Speaking of which in my shop I have a walk behind garden tractor,I inherited three years younger than me which is over 70 .It has blown blue smoke for as long as I can remember .It just refuses to die .Briggs 2.5 HP .

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what are you talking about?

the premise is snowblowers do not have air filters because [they] will ice up?
[they] meaning the air filter will ice up?
this is the air filter on a carburetor, on a small engine (i.e. snowblower)
If that is the case then back when cars were carburated (carburetor'd... prior to fuel injection) how did they not freeze up in wintertime?
Did people take the air filter off their qjet between november and april in order to drive their car without things icing up ?

how come my hrx mower with gx190 engine, with an air filter, doesn't ice up if I run it outside in < 30°F ?
how bout any one of my chainsaws, while i'm not crazy like all you mines not ported but it does have an air filter.
even on fuel injected cars why doesn't their air filter freeze up?

the only time I've ever seen any kind of freezing was winterizing the boat in december, on land, and the 4-barrel holley main butterflies would get a nice coating of ice on them, didn't affect anything, granted that was a flame arrestor and not an air filter, i've never seen an air filter specifically freeze up. So what science are people following with take out the air filter so it dont ice up ?
What are my thoughts -
some phrase gets said, then repeated, before you know it it's taken to be the norm, and boaters are the worst with this.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If that is the case then back when cars were carburated (carburetor'd... prior to fuel injection) how did they not freeze up in wintertime?
Did people take the air filter off their qjet between november and april in order to drive their car without things icing up ?

how come my hrx mower with gx190 engine, with an air filter, doesn't ice up if I run it outside in < 30°F ?
how bout any one of my chainsaws, while i'm not crazy like all you mines not ported but it does have an air filter.

the only time I've ever seen any kind of freezing was winterizing the boat in december, on land, and the 4-barrel holley main butterflies would get a nice coating of ice on them, didn't affect anything, granted that was a flame arrestor and not an air filter, i've never seen an air filter specifically freeze up. So what science are people following with take out the air filter so it dont ice up ?
What are my thoughts -
some phrase gets said, then repeated, before you know it it's taken to be the norm, and boaters are the worst with this.
Probably the same reason snowmobiles do not have air filters, there's no dirt to filter in the winter time.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably the same reason snowmobiles do not have air filters, there's no dirt to filter in the winter time.
Bingo. Which is why most snowblowers and snowmobiles don’t come with any type of air filter from factory.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Do you mow the snow with your Honda HRX mower?

Snowblowers put snow back into the air, and can absolutely ice up if the blown snow is powdery and fluffy, and the snow comes back at the operator and the engine. Snowmobiles can do the same thing in powder; put alot of snow into the air and potentially the airbox

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

What are my thoughts -

I'm no expert, but on carbureted cars there was a reason there was that goofy little foil accordion tube that sat on a stand-off on the exhaust manifold then connected to a similar stand-off on the air filter housing along with some type of thermistor that would open or close a flap in said air filter housing.

Paul Fithian

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I replaced the Tecumseh on my vintage Toro 724 snowblower years ago with a Harbor Freight Predator 212. Bolts right on with an adapter for the pulley. Starts on 1st or 2nd pull every time.

Way more powerful than before
Predatoro Capability.jpg

I also keep only one fuel container in the garage, 40:1 mix. These 4-stroke engines run great on this diet. No way to feed the 2 stroke stuff that way with straight gas.

Last edited:

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I replaced the Tecumseh on my vintage Toro 724 snowblower years ago with a Harbor Freight Predator 212. Bolts right on with an adapter for the pulley. Starts on 1st or 2nd pull every time.

Way more powerful than before
View attachment 407686

I also keep only one fuel container in the garage, 40:1 mix. These 4-stroke engines run great on this diet. No way to feed the 2 stroke stuff that way with straight gas.
I also feed my 4 cycle snowblower chainsaw mix. They love it.

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
at best if you ran a filter like this
pic3.jpg

and it was obviously exposed, which it might be on said tecumseh engine from a rototiller then yeah it could ice up if you manage to get it covered with snow and there's no engine heat there. Or if you had a filter such as this
pic4.png and it caught snow then yeah, but even on the old style above that intake is facing down and snow simply does not easily and often blow up under there to clog and ice, and then you have engine heat which also sort of mitigates freezing.

pic1.png

now there are some *s-wordty designed snow blowers still on the market, but they all have at least some kind of shroud to where snow getting on any kind of filter would not be a problem. To only say snowblowers do not have a filter because of it freezing is out of context and wrong, its driven more by economics and cost savings as to why most [cheap] snowblowers that everyone is familiar with do not have an air filter.. And if snow flying up where the filter would be would be a problem [because of icing] then wouldn't you also have a problem of water being sucked in to the carburetor? It's merely a simple matter of shrouding or having some kind of engine bay.

... snowmobiles don't have air filters ... TF they don't, maybe some p.o.s. pre 1980 model.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 408249

but even on the old style above that intake is facing down and snow simply does not easily and often blow up under there to clog and ice
Snow would literally be sucked up into those holes from the incoming intake charge - literally a vacuum. And nearby engine hear would not be enough to overcome the ambient winter air temps. Your theory of it staying clean because the holes are “down” is poor…
... snowmobiles don't have air filters ... TF they don't, maybe some p.o.s. pre 1980 model.
Your ignorance is showing.