Eduardo K

I like caramel.
GoldMember
Local time
1:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 32” bar for my dolkita. It’s for those occasions where I thought I would need it, bucking big logs for firewood. It’s really too heavy and unbalanced for regular use.
On a whim I bought two chains for it, one full comp, the other full skip, rather that two full comp chains. I don’t know, maybe I wanted to see if there is a noticeable difference. Anyway, I’ve used that hateful setup these last two weekends with both chains, and it feels like that skip chain is so much more stretch in it compared to the full comp.
I was curious if that’s a thing with skip chains. For obvious reasons, the more links you have, the more stretch you’ll have. I was wondering if there is a difference with respect to the links and if links without cutters have more stretch. We are looking at a relatively small sample on which I’m basing my observations.

Just for reference, these are Oregon EXJ and EXL chains.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 2 chains should have equal number of rivets and links so there shouldn't be any difference there?
Maybe you cutting style?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
12:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just speculating, but all other things equal, perhaps skip tooth cutters have more ‘shock loading’ than the smoother cutting chain. Each tooth also has to do twice as much work?

Those ideas might be 'a stretch’ too!

Philbert

Last edited:

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
3:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never had that problem and I use a fair bit of full comp and full skip

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never noticed excessive stretch of my Oregon chains, maybe it's a fluke.

I like @Philbert 's thinking!

Also the cutter link may be a little harder than a tie strap link as such full skip may stretch more.

Eduardo K

I like caramel.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, probably a fluke or my imagination. This was the first time running a skip chain and all of my 32" loops are new. I have a long history with saws, but it has always been here and there. Now that I have a wood stove and cut regularly, I'm learning more.
Thanks for the feedback and I'll chalk this up to being a noob.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Should not really be any more stretch in a skip than full. Course it will not cut as fast as a full comp will. So you possibly might be forcing things a bit which could account for the possibility of extra stretch.