Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
1:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would like to grind the full vertical side plate, however, with the 450 there is no vertical adjustment on the arm like the 451 has. I have to dress a thinner edge on the stone to keep from grinding into the tie straps. I did read in a maddsen's catalog that grinding 3/4 of the vertical is ideal. I just think that little shark tooth at the bottom has to cause some drag...

Good enough for who it's for :D

Last edited:

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would like to grind the full vertical side plate, however, with the 450 there is no vertical adjustment on the arm like the 451 has. I have to dress a thinner edge on the stone to keep from grinding into the tie straps. I did read in a madden's catalog that grinding 3/4 of the vertical is ideal. I just think that little shark tooth at the bottom has to cause some drag...

Shaun can make your arm adjustable. Depending on how bad you want it to be :D

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would like to grind the full vertical side plate, however, with the 450 there is no vertical adjustment on the arm like the 451 has. I have to dress a thinner edge on the stone to keep from grinding into the tie straps. I did read in a madden's catalog that grinding 3/4 of the vertical is ideal. I just think that little shark tooth at the bottom has to cause some drag...

That is another process, you get the same results with other square grinders.
For cleaning the gullet I use a tecomec round grinder set to the same top plate angle(or a little more say 35-40 but watch the inside corner of the top plate) as what I'm grinding on the square, then add a little more side plate angle than I normally would use for a round chain, then I clean the gullet as low as I want, then all the way back to where the square grinder hits the side plate. As long as the side plate has enough square ground to cut as deep as the depth gauges are set it's good enough for me.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, I took this chain for a little ride today in hard, dead oak. It is one hungry mfer! Is that a side effect of the forward lean on the side plate? I was wearing a smile ear to ear. Still good and sharp after a tank of fuel. I’ll have to see how it holds up with more use.
(angles don’t look too durable to me)

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, I took this chain for a little ride today in hard, dead oak. It is one hungry mfer! Is that a side effect of the forward lean on the side plate? I was wearing a smile ear to ear. Still good and sharp after a tank of fuel. I’ll have to see how it holds up with more use.
(angles don’t look too durable to me)

Yes. The more lean the more aggressive it will be.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
04D793CD-5333-406C-AF6A-BF5114B92FF6.png

Different chain. Pushed the arm a little too far, and went past the corner. Sharp but kind of fragile, especially in hardwood. It will gash the heck out of poplar or pine (or flesh). I always wear chaps. Always...

Last edited:

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 178678 Different chain. Pushed the arm a little too far, and went past the corner. Sharp but kind of fragile, especially in hardwood. It will gash the heck out of poplar or pine (or flesh). I always wear chaps. Always...
Pics of the gash