Simington / Silvey Square Chain Grinders Tips/Tricks/Secrets

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
7:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It seemed that way to me as well about the corner but couldn’t tell if it was my eyes playing with me I noticed that last night about the gauges and checked them they are slightly above a..025 depth gauge measure gonna re check with straight and feelers later
If your just bucking, it'll be fine. If a person is doing a lot of bore cutting with lots of forward lean and low rakers, you're asking for troubles.

Just my .02

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your just bucking, it'll be fine. If a person is doing a lot of bore cutting with lots of forward lean and low rakers, you're asking for troubles.

Just my .02

Shouldn’t be an issue my chains are setup pretty close to that with the rakers a touch lower normally and can bore the back cut after the first face has gone in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shouldn’t be an issue my chains are setup pretty close to that with the rakers a touch lower normally and can bore the back cut after the first face has gone in.

Fibers from a Fir pull totally different than from a Hickory or Oak....

I cut nothing but hardwoods and i know what works for me. What works for me, might not be aggressive enough for you.

Applications may vary....

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I cut nothing but hardwoods and i know what works for me. What works for me, might not be aggressive enough for you.

I also cut hardwoods out here, it’s all not just fir, also fir fibers are super strong think of the hinge amounts we leave vs your hardwoods.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you're saying your hardwoods cut the same as your softwoods?

What I’m saying is a Doug fir is not like cutting a real fir it’s a harder wood and stronger. Our alder out here is what you’d call a chairing sob but I can setup the chain the same and after the first cut it’ll keep up with it no problem.

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Hardwood chains around here will rip through western juniper like nobody’s business until you get to the old trees then they grab like a son of a gun. They like even less top plate angle than oak does. Live oak either species around here is pretty darn soft for a hardwood while it’s alive but start cutting dead standing and the top plate has to become more shallow and the side angle also has to shallow up as well as knocking the cutting edge angle down or else it’ll do nothing but grab and dulls super fast.

Last edited:

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your rakers look plenty low, with that much forward lean I wouldn't touch them.

Keep an eye on the corner, it looks a smidge high, but it will cut
I re-quoted this because I checked my angles again this morning and somehow went from 15* to 19* on side dresser. Must have forgotten to recheck after torquing the dresser bolt down. Top was dead on @12*

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
kfd, thanks for posting the instructions. Some of them I hadn’t seen before. There’s nobody in my neck of the woods that can answer questions, so it is nice to have a little info for reference.

Last edited: