Simington / Silvey Square Chain Grinders Tips/Tricks/Secrets

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
12:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks easy enough to mill the slot for.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keith, have you watched the vids on the Simington site? Loaded with info.

Greenthorn

Least Informed OPE Member
Local time
5:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the black knob sticking down used to adjust the arm length on your grinder? If so when do you adjust that?

The black knob adjusts the chain up and down level, the square nut/bolt addresses the pitch 20 - 40 degrees. That's what I was thinking? Now, I'm not sure?

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Square nut adjusts angle on underside of top plate. Vertical black knob adjusts to keep from grinding tie strap... If you dont have that, you have to re shape wheel. It seems easier to have a different wheel for each type of chain, then just switch wheels & grind. If by some stroke of sanity, I can do it, I'm going ALL 3/8....I have more crap than a saw shop, and want to consolidate.

Last edited:

Greenthorn

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gotchya, I just went back to watch Kellys video. Square nut adjust forward for dirtier wood, adjust back for cleaner wood. I've just kept mine in the middle so far.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gotchya, I just went back to watch Kellys video. Square nut adjust forward for dirtier wood, adjust back for cleaner wood. I've just kept mine in the middle so far.
Right. The "clean wood" setting would produce more of a razor edge, dirty would be blunter and more durable.....

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine is actually a Silvey so I have to "improve" mine to gain some of the features on the Simington. I think starting with a new wheel may be a good point though. Then I can play from there.
Mine is a really old (450) Simington, it also lacks the adjustable features of the newer models. That is why I want to stay with 3/8 if I can. I hardly have time to cut, let alone re-shape grinding wheels lol

Greenthorn

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, so correct me in my thinking, forward for sharper angle cleaner wood, say it is putting a 60 degree pitch on tooth.
all the way "aft" or back for a blunter angle or dirtier wood it is putting 70 degree pitch on tooth? Or do I have that backasswards?

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Very nice Deets, you wouldn't mind taking a snapshot of your wheel profile for me could you? I'd like to get my side plates looking like yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice Deets, you wouldn't mind taking a snapshot of your wheel profile for me could you? I'd like to get my side plates looking like yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the only one I have right now, I'll get some better ones tomorrow if I think of itimage.jpeg

junkman

Crush it
Local time
9:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks real good Deets,you should be able to set the bar down one handed and the saw feed itself real nice,you should be able to get away with high rakers too

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks really nice. I have that image in my mind and keep moving stuff around on my grinder to get there. I am struggling with the side of the cutter. I will keep practicing and learning.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the grinding wheel I have a pretty long and flat angle, if that makes sense. And I always dress the top of the wheel first and the bottom second. This keeps the area larger that is grinding the side plate. And keep checking your teeth while grinding. If I'm taking a fair amount I have to adjust for wheel wear in the middle of a chain to keep my corner "centered"