Shipping Costs...Share Your Secrets and Best Prices

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
10:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shipping is a racket. I get a few bucks off through the boat shop and the commercial ups account. Usps doesn't have much going on to keep costs down, but they are still the best option for shipping out of the states normally.

On the boxes I have found that if you can get stihl boxes. They are the best for shipping great distances. They are double walled and take one heck of a beating while protecting the contents pretty well.

Steven.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
6:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shipping is a racket. I get a few bucks off through the boat shop and the commercial ups account. Usps doesn't have much going on to keep costs down, but they are still the best option for shipping out of the states normally.

On the boxes I have found that if you can get stihl boxes. They are the best for shipping great distances. They are double walled and take one heck of a beating while protecting the contents pretty well.

Steven.

I choose using regular mail to overseas, as the private companies add a ton of extra costs.

For example, if I ship a package with Fedex, I know that I will automatically be charged by Fedex at origin, and then be charged here by a Fedex contractor that hijacks my package.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In Alaska or Hawaii we either get hosed or ignored

It is amazing how many vendors won't ship to either state at all

Others only offer various UPS options and the shipping almost always equals or exceeds the order so I simply won't deal with them

Others don't seem to understand that USPS flat rate shipping works for ALL STATES and try to jack their rates up

It can get very frustrating and frequently means I forego the actual "chain saw shop" and buy from Amazon or eBay to get free shipping

Even that doesn't always work....

I was trying to buy a pack of spare bar nuts off eBay last week and they wouldn't ship to Alaska or Hawaii PERIOD

We are talking something that would have gone in a small mailing envelope and would have cost $2.00 at most to go first class mail

But they choose to simply forego the 49th and 50th states

:roto2nuse:

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
In Alaska or Hawaii we either get hosed or ignored

It is amazing how many vendors won't ship to either state at all

Others only offer various UPS options and the shipping almost always equals or exceeds the order so I simply won't deal with them

Others don't seem to understand that USPS flat rate shipping works for ALL STATES and try to jack their rates up

It can get very frustrating and frequently means I forego the actual "chain saw shop" and buy from Amazon or eBay to get free shipping

Even that doesn't always work....

I was trying to buy a pack of spare bar nuts off eBay last week and they wouldn't ship to Alaska or Hawaii PERIOD

We are talking something that would have gone in a small mailing envelope and would have cost $2.00 at most to go first class mail

But they choose to simply forego the 49th and 50th states

:roto2nuse:
I feel your pain down here in the Southern Universe.

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think that Mary 51 I sold you was the last saw I shipped because of price. Have to give you credit, you offered to help pay shipping but wasn’t you fault. To someone’s point, smaller box is much cheaper than same weight large box. I went with a larger box to ensure a lot of bubble wrap. Live and learn.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm curious because I bought a 421 PHO from a guy in MN and he paid like $77 to get it to Oregon.

I'm wondering if having an online account helps with prices. I've heard that USPS is cheaper that way.

It totally depends on where from & where too.

Sent from my iPhone using Jon1212 Pro

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very good thread guys,, yes I do agree with the sender is mostly at fault with packing... everyone has seen the pass the parcel (or chuck it and drop it) vids.

Here in the uk some carriers Will not take chainsaws, but will take a small engine? What’s the difference, ?? A fuel tank..?

Anyways myherms in the uk is my worst carrier, they have lost more, not that I get a lot of post.

Parts.

It’s parts.

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Steven.

As long as the employees of the shipping company don’t think there is a Stihl in there: then it is a Stole.

That’s Experience talking.

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why is it $15 more to ship the same package to California or Oregon than to the east coast? Is it unions or what? Ask the post office or ups and they can't or won't say! That's shipping from Kansas btw. Right in the middle of the USA!
Because as soon as that package leaves the state some jerk says “You ain’t in Kansas anymore Toto.”

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why is it $15 more to ship the same package to California or Oregon than to the east coast? Is it unions or what? Ask the post office or ups and they can't or won't say! That's shipping from Kansas btw. Right in the middle of the USA!
Buying a saw from the northwest takes a lot longer and getting small parts from California is as fast as from Minnesota and I am in SE Nebraska and rates reflect the time as well.