AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
2:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's come to my attention that shipping rates are much more expensive in certain areas.

For example, I've been shipping a 462 from my island in Greece to anywhere in the US for around $80 or less for 15-16lb boxes. 572 for around $85 and big saws like the Dolmar/Makita 9010 for around $100.

I was surprised that when I bought a couple of small Dolmars from guys in the US that the shipping costs were between $75 and $85 USD. One went from PA to NV and the other from MN to OR.

That's just too much for shipping within the US peeps. I realize that some guys live in rural areas and are often charged additional costs for that.

What are you guys doing to save on shipping costs? Hopefully this thread gets some attention and will help other guys save on shipping also, where possible.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
6:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can ship with speedee which only does a couple states around Minnesota and shipping prices are about half of the big carriers. Once I get a chance to ship this 6421 from me to stump shot I will find out what the cost is. It’s a 4 hour drive roughly one way so let’s see what shipping will be.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can usually ship a 372 anywhere in the US for $40-50 bucks. Either UPS or USPS!

I'm curious because I bought a 421 PHO from a guy in MN and he paid like $77 to get it to Oregon.

I'm wondering if having an online account helps with prices. I've heard that USPS is cheaper that way.

EvilRoySlade

What’s my line?
Local time
7:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
USPS used to be cheaper with an online account but that went away. I don’t think I’ve ever paid more than $40 but I try not to ship out west. Obviously insurance, weight and size are all a factor. Don’t send bars, use lightest weight packing materials etc. I use USPS because it’s the easiest for me and has never been ridiculous high.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've shipped saws for less than 25 bucks and as much as fifty to the west coast with USPS. The trick is to not have too big of a box. Learned that on a repeat mailing with a fifteen dollar difference and none in weight. So I try to find the smallest box that a saw will fit in comfortably and still have room for packing material for a cushion and let it go from there.

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
9:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
this is nothing to ship a 460 to the states from here is about $180us

ps ............. and with this crash it will be more like $210

Last edited:

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
9:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's come to my attention that shipping rates are much more expensive in certain areas.

For example, I've been shipping a 462 from my island in Greece to anywhere in the US for around $80 or less for 15-16lb boxes. 572 for around $85 and big saws like the Dolmar/Makita 9010 for around $100.

I was surprised that when I bought a couple of small Dolmars from guys in the US that the shipping costs were between $75 and $85 USD. One went from PA to NV and the other from MN to OR.

That's just too much for shipping within the US peeps. I realize that some guys live in rural areas and are often charged additional costs for that.

What are you guys doing to save on shipping costs? Hopefully this thread gets some attention and will help other guys save on shipping also, where possible.

are you dandrikop on ebay ?

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
this is nothing to ship a 460 to the states from here is about $180us

ps and with this crash it will be more like $210

Amazing. I inquired about shipping to OZ from here and they quoted me about the same as shipping to the US. From 4-7 Kg it's the same price, and increases very little until it's over 14Kg.

EvilRoySlade

What’s my line?
Local time
7:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the smallest box subject, I’ll often pull the dog off and sometimes the brake flag to minimize difficult to protect objects. Nothing drives me more crazy than a saw showing up at my door in a destroyed box because the person did nothing more than put a saw in a box. Holes punched from the spikes, fuel and oil leaking. Once had a bar sticking out through a torn hole. In my opinion the sender should get a fine for crappy packing.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If dogs are left on a simple cure is to cut a piece of 1/4" or larger fuel line a little longer than that of the dogs. then put a slit in it just shy of the length of the dogs and stretch it over it. Cardboard and tape can do the job as well. If clutch cover is off bar studs will need something as well. And still slide an extra piece of cardboard in front just in case.
Drain the fluids! Then enclose in a plastic bag before placing in the box. Can't believe I get saws with fuel and oil still in the tanks and a mess to clean up.
Packing material 360 degrees around the entire saw is essential in it arriving the way it left. I trust the big air pillows the least, not much good deflated. I also like extra material in the bottom of the box for reinforcement.
If you're sending to a fellow that gets lots of saws coming in to him, make sure to include a piece of paper with who you are and what you want done and return shipping information if work is being done.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can't believe I get saws with fuel and oil still in the tanks and a mess to clean up.

Yep. That one ain't good. I'm really afraid of even oil soaked sawdust coming overseas, as it'll often stain the box and raises suspicion that liquids or flammables are in the box.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
12:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shipping costs sometimes are deal breakers and customs charges
On top are eye opening

I use two brokers and east coast USA is a better price
and from me too @SOS Ridgerider or @166 is usualy 2-3 working days
West coast USA is more expensive and takes longer

Sent a full wrap handle and spike set too Victoria Australia
Today and it was only £17 tracked and signed £100 insurance

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
12:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very good thread guys,, yes I do agree with the sender is mostly at fault with packing... everyone has seen the pass the parcel (or chuck it and drop it) vids.

Here in the uk some carriers Will not take chainsaws, but will take a small engine? What’s the difference, ?? A fuel tank..?

Anyways myherms in the uk is my worst carrier, they have lost more, not that I get a lot of post.