Sharpening mower blades

DustGrind

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What methods do you use to sharpen your mower ? Just a bench grinder ? File ? I have a bunch of rocked out ones i do not want to toss if they can be brought back .
What do you use? How bout post some before and after pictures of you work.

DustGrind

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_2422.JPG I did this one today using a Hammond. First time using it as it's older then dirt. The machine is missing some parts and I can't find anyone around here to help me make a rest. So I just held it.
It's rough, but I'm thinking with a rest of some sort, should be able to clean it up some.
IMG_2423.JPG

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 82623 I did this one today using a Hammond. First time using it as it's older then dirt. The machine is missing some parts and I can't find anyone around here to help me make a rest. So I just held it.
It's rough, but I'm thinking with a rest of some sort, should be able to clean it up some.
View attachment 82622
Whats a Hammond?

DustGrind

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to OPE Mr DustGrind.
Thank you sir.
Hope I'll be able to learn some sharpening skills here as well as repairing my mowers that I can not figure out.
Example, I have a Kawasaki K series 14hp that had no spark.
Changed the coil and exciter. Now I have just a very week spark.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

customcutter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I used to make custom knives before I had to go in the lawncare business for 11 years. I used my Burr King 2X72 belt grinder 36 or 50 grit. And make sure your blades are balanced. I was changing spindles every 6 months until I started doing that. After balancing blades sometimes they would go up to 2 years. Also use a high lift blade, throws the mulch out and seperates it so you don't have to remow the clumps.