what to get when Honda HRX mower is no longer sold

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Honda is exiting the north America market for lawnmowers end of 2023.
So you won't be able to buy a new 21" Honda HRX 217 mower in the future, not to mention the current cam failure problem.

I have an ~2005 HRX and had bought a second a few years ago. I think they are the best mower (price notwithstanding) in terms of cutting with their 2-blade setup and hydrostatic trans and plastic deck, and having an engine throttle.

With that mower off the possibility to buy list next year, what self-popelled walk behind mower would be the best available to buy (disregarding price)? In the 21-22" width range, or other if worth mentioning.

Pepperspapa

OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Honda is exiting the north America market for lawnmowers end of 2023.
So you won't be able to buy a new 21" Honda HRX 217 mower in the future, not to mention the current cam failure problem.

I have an ~2005 HRX and had bought a second a few years ago. I think they are the best mower (price notwithstanding) in terms of cutting with their 2-blade setup and hydrostatic trans and plastic deck, and having an engine throttle.

With that mower off the possibility to buy list next year, what self-popelled walk behind mower would be the best available to buy (disregarding price)? In the 21-22" width range, or other if worth mentioning.
I have the Honda 217 and a couple of John Deere's. The Jx75 is a excellent mower. I think JD has also gotten out of the walk behinds as well.

lasmacgod

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Toro Super Recycler or snag a newer used HRX.

Otherwise, I thought I'd read that Honda was going to stay in the commercial market. If so, there's the HRC216.

I'm afraid that before long, one will have to pony up for the cost of a commercial mower if they want to stay with a gas powered walk behind.

EastKYMike

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husqvarna no longer builds push mowers either. I’d probably opt for an ex mark commercial 30” push mower. I’ve had my Honda hrx over 10 years now. Hope it last many more.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you folks think might happen to the Honda parts situation, in the U.S.?

I've always been tempted by that hydro mower, but it looks to weigh even a little more (all that blade clutch stuff adds up) than my older Snappers with the variable disc drive.
Only real complaint with the Snapper is the differential spin. Get it mowing along any slope and whichever wheel is up top wants to spin and then the mower stops pulling.
But then since it doesn't use overrunning wheel clutches, it doesn't try to outrun me when I head down my yard.

The mower weight only bothers me because of my worn out knees. makes turning corners and dodging around trees etc, really rough on me now.