High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Saw video thread

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
9:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
You got that right Dallas. I can't get enough wood to run my saws. Gonna open up the muffler, bump the timing and lean this B... out tomorrow and put a bettand see what she's got. Probably put a better chain on her too.
I believe Tuesday you will have another 064 so you need to find some wood

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
12:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most of the old farms around here still have locust fence posts that have been there for generations.

It would also appear you are correct on Honey locust being the one with thorns. People around here have been calling black locust for years. Learn something new everyday.

View attachment 49721
DAMN that stuff looks evil!

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
9:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I thought it was Honey that had the thorns, and my net search (Wikopedia) revealed:

"Honey locusts commonly have thorns 3–10 cm (11⁄4–4 in) long growing out of the branches, some reaching lengths over 20 cm (8 in);"

I know in Colonial days they sometimes used the thorns as nails! Black Locust is most resistant to rot of any North American tree, and was used as early foundations and in ship building.

The Indians had transplanted it and cultivated it, and we took advantage of the results.
No wonder its easily confused.
The dark black tree with dark wood and thorns is a honey locust but the light colored tree with yellow/honey colored wood and no thorns/the ones on are farm dont/ is black locust? Seriously?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
10:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What we call locust here has really coarse bark that looks like strudel. Buddy says it's "Oxidendren"

It's yellow wood that's heavy as all hell and hard as a rock. Grows tall and stays kinda thin with almost no side branches till way up.

My cottage has two locust poles holding up the first floor in the basement. Had a contractor here to replace them, said locust posts are strong as hell and don't need replacing.

EDIT: sure looks like what I'm calling locust certainly isn't.

2nd Edit: Appears that it is Black Locust

Last edited:

Drptrch

Coastal Fartknocker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For your reading enjoyment:
Copied
" a brief description of the similarities and differences of honey locust (herein referred to as HL) and Black Locusts (herein referred to as BL)...feel free to add something as needed. Please excuse the grammar and wording, its late and I need bed!

BL and HL are both thorny trees however BL doesn't generally have thorns on the trunks of older trees whereas HL has LONG thorns on the trunk and branches, regardless of age. Young BL trees will have trunk AND branch thorns (generally less than 1" but spaced farther apart than HL. Sometimes HL can appear from a distance as being 'hairy' with thorns, perhaps because they are. When it comes to LONG, nasty thorns, that is the HL. Long, nasty tire popping, barefoot throbbing thorns= HONEY LOCUST! HL has long sharp thorns on the trunk AND branches on trees of all ages. HL has a darker, smoother bark (similar to that of a young cherry) whereas BL has a light tan colored bark on young trees turning a darker gray and more grooved (hackberryish) as the tree matures. Both HL and BL have seed pods. BL seed pods are smaller, generally less that 7" and are nearly identical to Mimosa tree (silk tree) pods and also resemble eastern redbud pods. Honey locust also have seed pods but they are distinctly longer pods like Catawba or Kentucky coffee tree and are oftentimes greater than 12" and often curl in a spiral shape. The seeds pods of honey locust are often used as "sweet feed" for livestock and a sedating treat for that cow or goat who doesn't like to be milked. HL, BL, eastern redbud and Mimosa tree are all legumes and N fixers however HL and BL are in the family acacia, whereas eastern redbud and Mimosa are not. HL and BL have roots that are more similar to rhizomes (like a giant Bermuda grass!) and sucker profusely (like a giant Bermuda grass!) when cut or when the soil around them is disturbed. Many states consider both the HL and the BL as an invasive specie. "

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They generally like to use Black Locust for building hiking bridges. They say it won't last forever, but it will last one day longer than stone! They don't use it more in house building cause if it warps, it will take everything else with it.

The reason most farmers stopped using it for fence posts (they usually use Cedar) is because the posts are too hard to drive a nail in w/o drilling it first.

Al, if I find some, I will let you know. Any idea how much you need and what dimensions you want? I have several Black Walnut on my property (in Brewster), but none are really large. One is leaning badly, and I keep thinking of taking it down.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a section of green Black locust the forestry marked and wants taken out.They put in a trail and marked the trees .I have yet to make it there but as soon the trails open have to check it out.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut this stick down today, and I cut the one facing the front 2 weeks ago.

1f44d8d0a439bb57fe84c78ffb61bfb0.jpg

37ba4a1a9d3dde6119da621cdf169792.jpg

Looks like a Mike Lee 066!