Local time
8:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
261 isn’t a 462.

If Doc says “xyz” about a 261, then it’s “xyz”
Thanks Kev, but I wouldn’t say that.

I try to never give bad advice. My abbreviations were off, and it can be quite confusing. The 261 had 2 derivations as has the 462. I’m off on the nomenclature. I know that the (at least for me) straight finned 261 had the old style reset and the slant ones had the new style, at least all I have seen.

That being said, I’ve yet to see a saw that won’t run at all get better from a reset. I guess it’s a moot point anyway, if a saw can’t even idle it can’t go through either of the reset procedures.

The MT continually adjusts a saw. The reset simply puts it back to factory default settings. I’ve personally never witnessed it fix any issues that a few cuts wouldn’t fix.

bogieboy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Kev, but I wouldn’t say that.

I try to never give bad advice. My abbreviations were off, and it can be quite confusing. The 261 had 2 derivations as has the 462. I’m off on the nomenclature. I know that the (at least for me) straight finned 261 had the old style reset and the slant ones had the new style, at least all I have seen.

That being said, I’ve yet to see a saw that won’t run at all get better from a reset. I guess it’s a moot point anyway, if a saw can’t even idle it can’t go through either of the reset procedures.

The MT continually adjusts a saw. The reset simply puts it back to factory default settings. I’ve personally never witnessed it fix any issues that a few cuts wouldn’t fix.
The 3.0 reset doesnt put it back to factory settings... it tunes it to what the saw needs.... least thats what stihl says in all thier training... and, my personal experience with mt3.0 is my 661, top end grenaded due to dull chain, add in pinched bar and torn intake boot, would not idle after fresh top end at all...just a pop about every 3rd pull... did exactly what i told the OP to do, dribble gas in the intake, get it running, then performed a reset, and have been running well ever since...