Rebuilding and porting an 044

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
4:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Piston ring pins still there?

Here is what one looks like when some idiot welds on a muffler with it still on the saw. :risas3:
Tore down back in July. Felt something wasnt right pulling over slowing. Felt like it was hitting in the squish band.

pp330x.jpg_thumb.png pp330xxx.jpg_thumb.png

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
3:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
1:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not sure what happened to it........but I first suspected the muffler.

It has a "heavily modded" MS460 or 461 muffler on it......

And, it was melting the brake handle.

Yeah the 046/460 muffler is too wide to clear the 044/440 brake handle but some guys smash the deflector in a bit to clear the brake handle, which looks really sloppy.

That has a newer tank on it so at some it was heavily serviced, but perhaps not internally.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
3:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thansk for the build thread! We rike build fred. All kidding aside, can't wait to see this!

I'll be adding to this one as parts arrive........gonna use a jug that I have already ported from the 1128 build thread. I might grab some pics outta that thread to show the porting process.

The original jug has a chip above the exhaust that is too bad to let ride. :(

lol I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that stocks parts for future builds lol

I have parts........oh yeah.

Yeah the 046/460 muffler is too wide to clear the 044/440 brake handle but some guys smash the deflector in a bit to clear the brake handle, which looks really sloppy.

That has a newer tank on it so at some it was heavily serviced, but perhaps not internally.

One side has a AM seal.......the other is OE. Whoever did the saw was just interested in making it run to sell it I reckon.

Thank u for being great and checking this saw out and fixing it right before u mastermind it Randy it means to world to me that ur doing this.

No worries Nathan. Thanks for being patient.