Random Thought Of The Day

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You know how things get cheap after they have been around a while: led lights, thumb drives and SD cards, ect. And how long have cars and trucks been around for? You'd think they would be the cheapest of all as common as they are. Surly they could build them now and sell them for $5000 new. Except they keep adding more and more technology that we have gotten along just fine without, and keep changing designs, not always for the better, which keeps design and engineering, and new production line equipment costs a significant part of the manufacturing cost.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You know how things get cheap after they have been around a while: led lights, thumb drives and SD cards, ect. And how long have cars and trucks been around for? You'd think they would be the cheapest of all as common as they are. Surly they could build them now and sell them for $5000 new. Except they keep adding more and more technology that we have gotten along just fine without, and keep changing designs, not always for the better, which keeps design and engineering, and new production line equipment costs a significant part of the manufacturing cost.
It is the consumers fault!
As long as there are hordes of people willing to pay more for the same crap they already have the manufacturers prices and profit margins will continue to go up.

Same deal with smartphones, computers, chainsaws, . . .

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To a large extent, government regulations preclude the selling of new vehicles that are made the same as they were in the past.

You do not have the choice to buy the same vehicle.

Sometimes that is good, sometimes that is bad, and sometimes it is overdone.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ill tell ya what, if somebody made an electric truck that would pull a few thousand pounds for 100 miles a day, that was reasonably priced, id be all over that mfer

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy, my Aunt + Uncle used to have a Dairy farm in upstate NY. Way too small to be feasible today, I think they only had 36 cows.

With the regulations they have today, you need well over 100 and most of the large farms milk them 3 times a day (not twice) and operate 24 hours a day. Gone are the days when they came to pick up the milk cans!

I loved the 125 acre farm when I was a kid, was my favorite place to go! My brother, cousin and I could shoot 22s, fish, and hike around. I loved it. It was like freedom!

We used to go up and help with the haying every year along with the 7 cousins who lived on the farm and other cousins + uncles.

It is still in the family, but they just rent the fields and the old barn we used to play in has fallen down. My cousin (who lived there) took his own life (he had medical issues). He was a month younger than me. No one lives there now, his Nephew owns it.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy, my Aunt + Uncle used to have a Dairy farm in upstate NY. Way too small to be feasible today, I think they only had 36 cows.

With the regulations they have today, you need well over 100 and most of the large farms milk them 3 times a day (not twice) and operate 24 hours a day. Gone are the days when they came to pick up the milk cans!

I loved the 125 acre farm when I was a kid, was my favorite place to go! My brother, cousin and I could shoot 22s, fish, and hike around. I loved it. It was like freedom!

We used to go up and help with the haying every year along with the 7 cousins who lived on the farm and other cousins + uncles.

It is still in the family, but they just rent the fields and the old barn we used to play in has fallen down. My cousin (who lived there) took his own life (he had medical issues). He was a month younger than me. No one lives there now, his Nephew owns it.
I miss the simple days.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you old enough to remember the simple days? LOL
When I was a kiddo, computers weren't common here, its rural and we never had money. We played til the street lights came on. We fist fought one another. We had parties in the woods with stolen booze.

I remember sitting on the tailgate of an old truck watching the sun go down with a girl I was sweet on. I remember walking down a dirt road bare foot to go fishing with my friend Marc. I remember cheese and yellow mustard sandwiches because we couldn't afford meat.

Maybe my simple days were different, but those was simple days. At least they were to me.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I was a kiddo, computers weren't common here, its rural and we never had money. We played til the street lights came on. We fist fought one another. We had parties in the woods with stolen booze.

I remember sitting on the tailgate of an old truck watching the sun go down with a girl I was sweet on. I remember walking down a dirt road bare foot to go fishing with my friend Marc. I remember cheese and yellow mustard sandwiches because we couldn't afford meat.

Maybe my simple days were different, but those was simple days. At least they were to me.

Well said.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lost a friend of mine the other day. Was fighting cancer, got a respiratory infection and passed away. Never seen it coming, he was such a strong man.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lost a friend of mine the other day. Was fighting cancer, got a respiratory infection and passed away. Never seen it coming, he was such a strong man.
My sincerest condolences!
My neighbor, friend and decades long firewood supplier passed away from cancer.
Had it years ago, hoped he had beat it till it came back with a vengeance.
42 years young, left wife and two sons behind. :(
His wife is trying to continue to run the firewood log transport company, but it is a male world and suddenly all past so called friends became enemies & competition - she is on the brink of giving up and start anew.

My dad is diagnosed with bladder C! :(

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My sincerest condolences!
My neighbor, friend and decades long firewood supplier passed away from cancer.
Had it years ago, hoped he had beat it till it came back with a vengeance.
42 years young, left wife and two sons behind. :(
His wife is trying to continue to run the firewood log transport company, but it is a male world and suddenly all past so called friends became enemies & competition - she is on the brink of giving up and start anew.

My dad is diagnosed with bladder C! :(
Terribly sorry for all the bad. Makes a man tired.