High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

I THOUGHT I learned something about gullets this weekend.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You make the gullet bigger on round ground then it’s basically making a bigger area for the chip, bigger hemisphere or moon shape.

@Wilhelm clipping the heels helps with a grabby chain because it will cut smoother, also clip the heels if I have to do a lot of boring or the wood is super hard (white oak hickory sugar maple)

MemphisMechanic

Unreliable Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of guys misunderstand what they’re trying go do when they watch Billy Ray’s videos. You’re not trying to file the gullet away into nothing. You’re simply trying to get down in there and sharpen the gullet as agressively as you do the top cutter. With a matching angle.

What he’s honestly preaching is filing at the correct height relative to the cutter. The shape of the tooth makes novice sharpeners want to work with the file up too high and only focus on the top cutter, because that’s what they can see. The side plate isn’t sharpened, and it certainly isn’t maintained at it’s proper broad “C” shape.

In general I find I need to push down and in for the first 3-4 strokes to get the side plate roughed in, then come in and slightly under the top plate and finsh with the file at the correct height, with everything being uniformly contacted with each stroke at the finish.

That’s also what Billy Ray actually does, if you watch his file work.

Buckin’ is good fun to watch, but he’s a hyperactive squirrel which makes him a lousy teacher. You have to learn to emulate what he’s doing because his words are misleading. Mostly because he can’t stay on topic for more than 17 seconds.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
2:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think he’s more artist than scientist. He knows what he’s doing but he can’t articulate it in specific measurable angles and quantities.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
5:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably some of the best sharpening videos i've seen were put out by "Guilty of treeson" . They explain exactly why they are sharpening the way they are, and ask others why they sharpen the way they do.
Anyone who claims to be the authority of superior knowledge, has some learning disabilities.