pa-aaronq

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Here is my latest acquire.
ea4e22643b454c768e365e9196b3c13f.jpg
2 stroke with self propelled and mag deck. I have 2 of these now and love them!
Is that a Suzuki engine?

Oldman47

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Or like the new push mowers with plastic front deck. How long will that last?
I have one of those which is why I signed up today. The mower is now about 2 years old and still starts and runs great but the right side wheel hole in that plastic front has broken so now there is no adjustment on my deck front. It rests all the way down and won't stay anywhere else. Since I am not mowing greens on a golf course the mower is unusable. I have been considering swapping that engine over to a good deck with a bad engine, the one I bought that mower to replace.

pa-aaronq

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have one of those which is why I signed up today. The mower is now about 2 years old and still starts and runs great but the right side wheel hole in that plastic front has broken so now there is no adjustment on my deck front. It rests all the way down and won't stay anywhere else. Since I am not mowing greens on a golf course the mower is unusable. I have been considering swapping that engine over to a good deck with a bad engine, the one I bought that mower to replace.
That's a good idea.

pa-aaronq

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Please post pics after you do the swap.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is my latest acquire.
ea4e22643b454c768e365e9196b3c13f.jpg
2 stroke with self propelled and mag deck. I have 2 of these now and love them!

That probably the best mower ever made. Id love to find one.

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You can replace that piece but if you have an all metal deck, that might be the way to go. What is the model of your mower?

Oldman47

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Mine is a TB190, Troybilt, but I checked and the engine is a Honda. My spare deck has a dead Briggs engine on it so I will need to take a few measurements first. I have swapped engines between Briggs decks before. It takes about an hour and only involves 3 mounting bolts and routing the pull cord and blade brake on the new deck. I need to get my decks up in the air where I can measure the mounting points to make sure I have a match.

Oldman47

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Mine is a TB190, Troybilt, but I checked and the engine is a Honda. My spare deck has a dead Briggs engine on it so I will need to take a few measurements first. I have swapped engines between Briggs decks before. It takes about an hour and only involves 3 mounting bolts and routing the pull cord and blade brake on the new deck. I need to get my decks up in the air where I can measure the mounting points to make sure I have a match.
Well today was the day. I checked and everything seemed to line up so I pulled the blades off both engines, then disconnected the blade brake on each and let the pull cord out of the clamp on the mower push handle. Once I got to that stage it was a simple case of pulling the 3 mounting bolts on both engines and carry the good engine to where I wanted it. The blade brake also had to be disconnected at the engine end so the engine could leave the deck to go to the other deck without messing with the blade brake cable routing but that took almost no time. I was surprised that even the blade brake matched right up as if I was working with a single brand of mower and engine. Just slip the little Z shaped end through the hole and everything fit and worked like new. When I got the new/used engine ready to go I thought I had messed up because the mower was hard to start, until I realized I had pulled the plug before removing the blade and had forgotten to put the plug wire back on when I was done. Once I figured that out it took one pull to start that Honda engine just like it always does.
Now that I am done I need to investigate the front deck mounting. I didn't take the time today but it looks like I might have been able to just strip the front deck from the parts mower and used it in place of the broken piece instead of swapping engines. It might not have saved much time but it would be good to know.