High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Push mower mods

pa-aaronq

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I bought this mower from an auction about 4 years ago. The plastic wheels started to get wobbly so I bored them out and resleeved them with 1/2 cpvc and glued them in. They lasted for longer than I expected but this year was time for an upgrade. I wanted to get steel wheels with bearings but I hated spending a lot on them. I decided to check out what harbor freight had and I found 10" wheels and tires for $7 a piece. They are 5/8 bore so I had to cut off the 1/2 inch axles and Welded 5/8" bolts to the height adjusters. It rolls so smooth now especially over roots and other ruff terrainimage.jpeg

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a wobbly wheel push mower and I need something like this. But I can't weld. :( :crybaby2: Will have to try to find a wheel with the right size bore.

pa-aaronq

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a wobbly wheel push mower and I need something like this. But I can't weld. :( :crybaby2: Will have to try to find a wheel with the right size bore.
You could bore out the center and resleeved with cpvc if you have plastic wheels

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You could bore out the center and resleeved with cpvc if you have plastic wheels

I will look into it but I might have to replace the wheels just to have enough material to bore. I can measure the run out (I think that is the right word) on my current wheels in quarter inches!!! :eek:

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So Tractor Supply has 1/2" bore ball bearing steel hubbed tires for $9.99. Not neumatic but if they stick straight on=worth it. They only had one though.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought this mower from an auction about 4 years ago. The plastic wheels started to get wobbly so I bored them out and resleeved them with 1/2 cpvc and glued them in. They lasted for longer than I expected but this year was time for an upgrade. I wanted to get steel wheels with bearings but I hated spending a lot on them. I decided to check out what harbor freight had and I found 10" wheels and tires for $7 a piece. They are 5/8 bore so I had to cut off the 1/2 inch axles and Welded 5/8" bolts to the height adjusters. It rolls so smooth now especially over roots and other ruff terrainView attachment 23909

Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pa-aaronq

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So Tractor Supply has 1/2" bore ball bearing steel hubbed tires for $9.99. Not neumatic but if they stick straight on=worth it. They only had one though.
Sounds good. Just having ball bearings makes such a pleasant improvement

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Got four of the 8" from Lowe's and realized that my current front wheels are 6". After I got home. And of course the adjusters are set up for that range... So I may have to swap down in size but will look at it first. But not tonight. Bushed from runnimg all day.

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hey, not to threadjack but has anybody converted a non choke lever push mower to choke lever? Like this:
It should be easy to mount but I need a bracket that holds the cable in place on the head of the mower. I think older mowers had that bracket but mine doesn't. Suggestions?

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Tried one of the wheels and found the inner race to be slightly oversize. These wheels are not quite as wide at the hub so I am hoping to be able to shim it up with washers. Thanks for the help guys!

pa-aaronq

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Tried one of the wheels and found the inner race to be slightly oversize. These wheels are not quite as wide at the hub so I am hoping to be able to shim it up with washers. Thanks for the help guys!
Please put up pics when you are finished. It's nice to give people different options. Thanks

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I won't promise anything about pictures because I am busy all the time. I sure want to though. My brother tried it out today. I reused the non-locking flange nuts that came on the mower and put three 1/2 id washers on each wheel. Well, for some reason, the nuts would loosen and fall off. I don't understand why because the race shouldn't have been moving but I think the inner race was binding when I tightened the nuts. Either way, my brother removed a washer from each wheel and even though it had some side to side play it rolled very easy. Replaced the nuts with lock nuts. I still would like so see some more grease on the bearings but I don't know how to disassemble them. They do just pop out of the wheel hub. I got a wheel stuck on a axle and found that out. Be a little tricky to pop a set one out but I think, doable.

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks, I should have given an explanation of that first shot. It is a 1/2 lock washer behind a regular 1/2 washer. It puts some pressure on the hub so it has a little drag. I wish I had a way to lube the bearings. I could probably force some liquid between the seal and inner race. There is about an 1/8 gap. But I don't get vibrated by wobbly wheels!

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, I should have given an explanation of that first shot. It is a 1/2 lock washer behind a regular 1/2 washer. It puts some pressure on the hub so it has a little drag. I wish I had a way to lube the bearings. I could probably force some liquid between the seal and inner race. There is about an 1/8 gap. But I don't get vibrated by wobbly wheels!

It works. Better than throwing a disposable mower away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk