Prayer request

mels

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Our 28 year old Son Patrick was crushed from behind on his M/C while returning Home from an Independance Day BBQ.

Nearly lost his leg I'm told. Broken arm too, no other noteworthy internal organ or soft tissue damage.

Problem is, no one had any insurance. He spent a week all doped-up in the medical center after his surgery before they gave him the boot.

"Home" is a full house he was living in with a high school friend and his family. The environment isn't ideal for someone with his needs, limitations, or level of unmanaged pain.

I'm sure it's tough on the family as well. Two special needs children and four dogs in the house.

Trying to get Pat back to CT from where he is in Florida, where at least our Home is a little quieter and we may be able to get him on state subsidized medical insurance so he can receive medical treatment and follow-up care.

He's so immobile, in such pain, and seems to have poor bowel control. Not the ideal elements for either a long drive bouncing on the freeway, nor a flight with turbulence as well as all the logistical challenges his physical configuration presents.

He's a "tough-guy" but can't hold a phone conversation without literally sobbing in pain.

Once he is back here, we'll park him in a bed where the dining table is on the first floor.

God, grant us all strength to get through this.

Here's a pic of his leg from a couple days ago after having the staples removed from the back of his thigh - where his femur snapped and blew out through...

You can't help but notice how swollen his leg is. Pus oozing from the area around the pins that come out from his leg the ER says is ok...

Love on your kids, guys. No matter how young they aren't. And if you don't have kids, love on each other. There's no expiration date stamped on the bottom of our feet, so we never know when that day is gonna come.

2017072095183523951500590158135.jpg

IMG_0521.PNG

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
12:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry too hear this sad news Mel prayers sent too you and your family
Patrick has got youth on his side so hopefully when he's home he'll be much better

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry Mel. Doesn't sound like the greatest set of circumstances.

mels

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, fellas. Thank-you all.

Apparently the Docs aren't too supportive of travel, worried about clots. Say to keep him on aspirin to help with that, and if travel is necessary, they recommend flying to minimize travel time.

Not sure how this'll unfold, but whatever I plan we do grab ahold of I know by now that it's like the weather and bound to change - just wait 5 minutes.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to hear Mel. Prayers to your son, you, and your family. Prayers for a full and complete recovery.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Prayers for you and yours and safe travel to you're son.

Last edited:

nickw

A Legend in my own mind
Local time
6:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So sorry! I'd be willing to help a little with travel expenses if you can provide a way. Maybe paypal?

mels

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank-you, all of you - and thank-you Nick for offering to contribute.

Not to take away from anyone else here, however I'm probably the last person who'd ask for financial help. Not because I'm too proud, but because I know as bad as things can get for us - any of us, there's always someone else who needs our help more.

Spoke with Pat a little yesterday, he received the care package I'd sent which included something that had been prescribed to me after my knee surgery. I try not to take those things, so in this case while I know it's not cool to share, I had a little stockpile and it was something they had him on in hospital. He said it takes the edge off enough to be able to sleep a few hours, which is a plus.

As much as I want to get him back up here right away, he's a grown man and needs to commit to his own gameplan. Talking yesterday, he wants to wait to return Home until after the standoffs and that exoskeleton have been removed (another couple weeks I guess?).

Gives us a little time to set up a comfortable area for him on the first floor and figure out how to ease the transition up/down the couple steps leading into the front door.

Thanks again, gents. Thanks for keeping him lifted in your prayers and in your hearts.