weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a bit of a theory -
After lots of huskies, and lots of years of crappy filters and fines sneaking in I've started running mesh filters with oil.
I now see no fines in the intake. I reckon that lots of the smaller huskies don't seal that well around the filter and with a flocked filter they start to suck around the filter instead of through it. Greasing the filter edge helps, but oiling a mesh filter gives the best results.
All just my results, in my conditions, but I'm 99% convinced I'm onto something.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
8:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After lots of huskies, and lots of years of crappy filters and fines sneaking in I've started running mesh filters with oil.
I now see no fines in the intake. I reckon that lots of the smaller huskies don't seal that well around the filter and with a flocked filter they start to suck around the filter instead of through it. Greasing the filter edge helps, but oiling a mesh filter gives the best results.
All just my results, in my conditions, but I'm 99% convinced I'm onto something.
Oh heck !! U just blowed everybodies theory!!:eek:

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
9:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score

How is the 550xp running?

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I don't see why that wouldn't work... Common practice on ATV's and dirt bikes that run in VERY dusty conditions. Whether it's an OEM filter element or a K&N with Outerwears pre-cleaner, all come with instructions to oil the filter element. But I would wager that dirt fines probably are more harmful to engine internals than wood fines.. None are good for it, but of the two dust fines are actual grit.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Yes.....you are onto something. :)

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Or no dust mask across our own nose? Lol!! We worry about the intake of our saws but could care less we r sucking in all the same dust?:eek::rolleyes:

I wear a mask when i'm cutting Sycamore. The dust will make you think you're dying. Or feel like you got a real bad case of pneumonia.